This is what I wrote:
It was so good to see you the other night. We loved getting to spend time with you and hope we’ll be seeing you again soon.
This is what I want her to read:
Dear Mrs. XXXX,
Yes. I had heard that your husband had died suddenly. Am feeling like a complete ass that I never even sent a card. We thought about it. But we don’t really keep in touch with your daughter, so we just didn’t do it. Inexcusable, I know.
I really can’t believe that you remembered it was our anniversary. Again, am feeling like a complete ass. But this is how I remember you. Always thinking of others.
It wasn’t until you mentioned your late husband, with the most pained look in your eyes, that I understood. Tonight you were taking a quantum leap into the most frightening realm: a public outing without your husband. I looked at you, and I could see that it was like you had lost a limb. A part of you. Someone that was attached. And my husband leaned over and informed me that tonight we were stuck with you. Of course, he was right. We couldn’t just sit back and observe. Because it was too hard. It was like watching someone bleed to death from a gaping wound.Johanna Reed - click to link
When we got home, while we were brushing our teeth, my husband looked over at me and said, “No offense? But I really hope I go first.” And I understood him completely. Because you? Your heartache was palpable. And the thought of going through that? It looked like someplace between hell and earth. I believe in a merciful God, so I sent up a prayer that in His mercy He would take us both. Together. My SP and I.
Julia Fullerton-Batten - click to link
Thank you, though, for being our reminder. It was a wedding. And you represented the end state of a wedding. “Til death do us part.” The fact that you made it there, and you were still so obviously in love. That was an anniversary gift for us. It reminded us to count every day a blessing.
So your bravery? It is now the stuff of legends for us. The fact that you spent the night clinging to us? To know that we could be thought of as a safe harbor by someone we hardly ever see from out childhood? That was a gift you bestowed on us.


7 comments:
Wow. Great post...
sometimes the smallest words make the grandest impact.
your post: straight to my heart
I really enjoyed this post!
i'd send the second letter...
life's too short to keep your words to yourself...
especially when they're so beautiful.
*blushing* Thank you all.
You really, really need to write this down and mail it to that woman... It would heal her in places she didn't even know were hurting. Beautiful words.
jordan......and this have a lot in common. A colleague who has just returned from Jordan died while out running late yesterday.
Not the best of times to talk to them, but they did enjoy it. He worked in animal health
Post a Comment