Saturday, June 21, 2008

Shock and Awe

Yesterday was my first day without my peas. I was supposed to be getting a jump on packing, but I was feeling mopey. I walked around the house sort of fingering items wondering, "Should I bring this? Do I need this? Do I even like this? Why didn't this make it into the garage sale?" I didn't get showered until late, and when I got out, the phone was ringing. I answered the phone, and it was my SP. At the same time, I looked out the window at this:

I ran downstairs to get my camera. The whole time, my SP was saying, "Why don't you put the phone down and get in the basement? Honey, do you think you should take cover?" I told him first I needed a picture. Then, I needed to get on some undies. Seriously. I had just got out of the shower and was only in my shortie robe. If something had happened, I was not gonna be found in only a shortie robe and no undies! About the time I got my camera, the funnel cloud had disappeared. Our town was spared. But it was one of the coolest things I've ever personally witnessed.

After the SP got home, we actually kicked into action. We cleared all the furniture out of the guest bedroom, and we are moving everything into it that we want to take. We don't really understand our weight restrictions, so we're just piling up the things we know we need: sheets, towels, lamps, Christmas decor, games... While we were packing (or organizing, I guess), I took the time to look out the window and this time I saw something really shocking. Our 'For Rent' sign. I didn't know they were coming to put it up. The SP had failed to inform me. I shouldn't have been shocked, but I was.

That pit in my stomach? It comes and goes. I'm coming to terms with the fact that this will be one heck of an emotional roller coaster. I hope at the end? We are thrilled we went for the ride.

8 comments:

Jill said...

Oh..... the infamous For Rent sign.... I would be a tad sad too! Sending you a virtual hug - or two.

Did I see a twister in that photo? Holy Tamoly lady! That's pretty neat-o.

Hopefully they'll tell you how much weight you can ship soon... it's harder to remove items that you thought you were going to take than to add them in when you discover you're under weight!

Don't forget the peanut butter!

Anonymous said...

You will be happy with the choice. Once you get past the initial bad first months where you think what the heck have I done?? You stat fitting into the new life and meeting people and learn to deal with all the stuff that made it bad in the beginning. You simply adjust :)

Laurel said...

Thanks for visiting:). Ah - six more weeks huh? Been there! Amman will be a life changing experience for sure. If you haven't visit www.talesmag.com (org? - I forget) and look at the Real Post Reports. I'll check back in!

Glad the twister was seen from afar!

Claire said...

Woah. Exciting times indeed!

Cxx

Amy said...

That is a really cool picture. Good luck with your move. I have to read back posts to find out where you are moving and why.

Simple Answer said...

Laurel, I think you are traveling right now, so I hope you see this huge thank you for the site link. It had some really great info! Happy travels.

C.C. said...

We're about two weeks behind you...Good luck with all you have to do between now and wheels up. Packing up is so hard, isn't it? I am completely undone by it this time around.

Glad the twister left you all alone! Great picture!

Suzanne said...

Do you read the blog of the woman who is living in Jordan? You probably already do, but I'll find it and send it to you just in case you don't. SHE LOVES IT THERE!!! Think of it as a great adventure.