You see, we found a video on YouTube this weekend that a teen-ish girl posted of her loft in Amman. I thought about posting the video here, but she is just a teenager, and I'm not sure how much her parents would appreciate it. (I know. It's on YouTube. Still, I'm sure her parents never counted on it being put on my blog. Or they probably would have made the bed. So if you want to see it, imagine me saying in my most librarian-ish voice, "Look it up!")
But about the video. And about the loft. We suspect it will be very similar to the loft we will be occupying. My expectations? They were a tiny bit higher. For example, I was hoping for a real kitchen table. Not a white plastic one.
So my Master and I, we set out to find a few items to feather our nest.
We then dodged in and out of stores looking for just a few items that would spruce up a, shall we say, potentially not so lovely space? These items included a tablecloth - just in case the table is plastic.
All day I wondered how important is a home? Was it worth the expenses? And I kept coming back to my childhood home. I have wonderful memories of that home. The laundry chute? Coolest invention to mankind. The hours in the bathroom? Those were the days of feathering and hot rollers. The yard? It was as big as my imagination. Even though this move is a temporary one, I want my girls to look back and feel like a piece of it was home. Otherwise, I think we will have missed the point. A new tablecloth? We may not even need it. But, it is important. I want to make the place seem 'permanent.' To make the place seem like our home.
Images seen first at found object


10 comments:
Good on you... you've touched on such a nerve with me.
I find that the home is extremely important... I want the girls to feel "at home" wherever we are. I want to feel at home too...
I tell the girls that "home" is wherever we are together as a family. We paint, we put up photos, we re-arrange things the way we want them.
i wrote a post when my blog first began about what i required in any home we have...and you're right. it's all about the feathers {at least, for me.}
i'm the queen of sending completely unnecessary crap to make the place more festive and romantic...until all our stuff arrives.
and really? all you need is light in your place. sunshine makes everything beautiful. and there's a ton of that here. don't worry! and everything's marble...which is a nice change, too.
also, my internet's being a jerk and i can't see your photos...but good job crediting where you saw the photos first. i can go there to see them, maybe. that's lovely and always-appreciated blogging ettiquette!
I'm betting your girls will look back on this as an amazing experience. jill is right, home is where you guys are. Bring some pictures, some lipsticks and some of their favorite cereal and you'll be all good.
Did I commit a gaffe and not know it? I always try to link to where I see something. I did flip through your site Karey and saw the library picture I used last week. Was that what you meant? But I didn't credit you because I didn't get it from you. I just wanted a library picture and google imaged "home library" and that was the one I came up with. That fact that it was the same one, was actually coincidence because I don't remember seeing it. So I apologize if I stepped on toes.
no no no! the reason i wrote that because i have these birdies on my site today, and i have NO IDEA whose site they were on first.
it's driving me CUH-RAZY! i ABHOR bad manners. and stealing.
those apartment therapy stairs were all over the place...like, ON APARTMENT THERAPY! hee hee.
{i don't really know what else to write! i'm rereading my original comment for the fiftieth time...for the life of me, i can't figure out what made you panic! except for, maybe, my own panic?! oh, well...}
Creating a home and feeling settled is so, so important to me. But I'm weird - as soon as I have in my head that a place I'm in is not permanent, I get stubborn. When I was renting before we bought the home we're in now, I was reluctant to do anything. But I finally gave in...and just doing little things really helped.
About blogging ettiquette...since most of the stuff on my blog is my own, I don't need to worry about giving credit back where I originally saw the image. But in my Kirtsy posts, I always give a nod to where I first saw the image/site/goods.
You TOTALLY need to feather your nest. It makes all the difference when living in another culture. Find lots of light feathers that won't tax the scales too much.
- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife
Whew. So glad I hadn't done anything to piss you off. I can't really handle pissing off the blogging sphere this week.
He has WONDERFUL photography on his site! I posted him too! Hard to pick just a few.
Yes, get and take everything that will make you feel at home...that your nest is a true nest to live in and not some temporary place to stay. If you can, mail some boxes full of fun things for you and the peas to receive after you've arrived. Thank goodness for the diplomatic pouch! I plan to mail boxes and boxes of feathers!
Post a Comment