Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Happy Little Clouds

Have you ever heard of Bob Ross? If not, you can count yourself lucky. He has an instructional show on PBS where he teaches people how to make, "Happy Little Clouds." I had a stepmother once who was obsessed and produced quite a few landscapes a la Bob Ross.

The reason I bring this up, is I just finished a book that Blogging Mama recommended on her cite. I told her I would read it and see if we were "reading compatible." I'm always amazed that I can love, love, love a person and we can be compatible in so many ways - until it comes to reading material. Then, I dunno. I spend a lot of time going, "Really? Best book you ever read? Really?" And try to find some sort of nicety about the recommendation. Well, I just spent the last two hours finishing the book she recommended, Those Who Save Us, by Jenna Blum. I couldn't put it down. But I. should. have. put. it. down. Because while a great read, it is also dark. So while I'm very happy to have someone whose book recommendations count, I've decided from here on out, all I can handle are "Happy Little Clouds." I am in waaaaaaay to fragile a mental state for anything heavy.

6 comments:

mary s. said...

Bob Ross. Whoa. But, yes, the perfect thing to distract you from heavy and dark. I'm going to check out that book on Amazon.com now...

Suzanne said...

Oh yes, I remember Bob Ross and there was another guy, a German who would paint and talk about the "Magic White". Oh my. I agree, you've got lots on your mind and you probably don't need dark right now. I'm off to check out that book also.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Anonymous said...

So sorry to depress you. It is a good book, I guess I should have clarified a bit that it was set in Nazi Germany and was a bit dark.
Anyway I am glad you liked the book. And... don't read any of the others I recommended! I like the dark and family mystery stuff. I promise I'll come up with a fluffy beach read this week for you :)

And Bob Ross - he's a memory of my childhood!

Simple Answer said...

Mary and Suzanne - please tell me if you like the book! And be honest....

Andrea - give me a few months and I'll want another afternoon neglecting all manner of housework to get lost in a good book no matter the content. Loved the book!

karey m. said...

yeah...i'm feeling a wee bit fragile these days, too. i think i need to hit refresh or something.

i don't feel like myself. and i need to fix this asap.

on a lighter note, don't worry. when you get to amman, you won't need to neglect your housework. that's what your housemaid is for!

i'm. dead. serious.

{is your email on your site? can't loccate it.}

Simple Answer said...

Karey, you can email me at pagubser@yahoo.com