Did you ever pull the legs off a daddy-long-legs? Maybe even just one? To see what would happen if they only had 7 legs? While I will neither confirm nor deny any circulating rumors that I have engaged in such acts of torture, I will confirm that I have prior knowledge of such acts occurring during my childhood.
Why do I ask? First I must explain the Oregon coast to you. If you've never been, the best way I can describe it is: I have seen flowers there that I have not seen anywhere else. Ever. It's lush, and green, and wild, and truly beautiful. It's also home to slugs. Lots and lots of slugs. Slugs who do not care that it is very cold and very windy. Even in August.
Despite the slugs, and wind, and cold, it is an absolute paradise for two little peas whose penchant for all things 'beach' do not let these things discourage them. They recently built the ocean a cake out of sand, topped it with a driftwood candle, and chanted to the sea, "Come eat cake. Come eat cake."
It is also an absolute paradise for our GG. (great-grandma) GG has emphysema. She can no longer breathe the thin Colorado air and requires an oxygen tank while at her home here. But the air at sea level is heavy with oxygen, and she can breathe on her own. It is the gift the ocean gives her.
So GG is nesting at the beach house, realizing she will need to spend more and more time there if she wants to be free of her oxygen tanks. With this in mind, she has planted a new garden at the beach house. For as long as I've known her, she has surrounded herself with flowers. But because her lungs are betraying her, she wants the garden to fill in RIGHT NOW! Everything she undertakes has a new sense of urgency as if she is trying to bend the world to her will. So the fact that there are slugs in her garden has sent her into a tizzy. Her solution? To take cups of beer and place them around the garden to attract and then drown the offending beasts.
My littlest pea? She has decided to become her GG's champion and to protect her GG's garden at all cost! So she has been marching around the garden, finding the slimy beasts, and tossing them into the cups of beer. Nothing can deter this little pea. Not the sliminess. Not the sheer slugginess. Nothing. And while the other occupants of the beach house admire her fearlessness and her deep affection for her GG, they've all admitted, it's making them a wee bit queasy.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
we are so on the same wave length...
http://mackink.blogspot.com/2008/01/let-it-snow.html
and to add to how freaky similar our likes are?
http://mackink.blogspot.com/2008/01/pain-free-papercuts_15.html
as soon as you move to jordan, we should just combine blogs...but we should definitely use your photo, as you are much cuter.
Oh shut up! Really? I think from now on I'll just say "ditto" and link to your site.
We can't use my photo. First, I doubt that you'll find me cute in person. Good lighting. Small box. Fuzzy pixels and such. Plus, those who know me know that I am incapable of writing as stirringly as you.
I'm a bit of an aracnaphobe... so pulling legs of spiders is not my cup of tea.
Very sweet post about your daughter and GG! I love that she wants to protect her garden forever...
I have memories of mine that I'll never forget.
Saw your question... yes, my husband and I do pretty well with the "arm extended" photos because he is tall, and his arms are a good length. the ones I take this way are always bad, but, again, his armlength works well and they almost always turn out better than a passerby who doesn't frame a shot well. :-)
"Good lighting. Small box. Fuzzy pixels and such." That cracked me up! And I'd also expect you to be dripping in jewels :)
Oh my scary spider pick - my worst nightmare! But still great work.
I love bob ross! I do not like spiders :)
thanks for coming to my blog and leaving a comment so i can find you! take bags full of rainbow sprinkles!!!
Post a Comment