I met her when she brought down a plate of chocolate chip cookies when we first moved in. Chocolate chip cookies are a very good way to start a friendship. The cookies were on a painted plate. So as good manners would dictate, I proceeded to load the plate up with some calorie-laden something, and returned it to her. Being who she is, and understanding the intricacies of good manners and baked goods, she brought it back to me with more sinfully rich somethings and told me I was meant to keep the plate. You see, she is the kind of person who stocks up on beautiful plates, and baskets, and so forth, to take with a tasty treat and leave. And she is always finding a reason to bring something because her generosity knows no bounds.

And of her generosity. Up until about a year ago, our family did not have cable. I'd tell you it was because "We just aren't spectators," but a neighbor once said that to me, and it made me want to punch him in the nose. Our reason for not having cable was, well, we just didn't want to be spectators. I didn't want to fall into the: I'm tired, why not put the kids in front of the tv. I'm cooking, why not put the kids in front of the tv. I'm cleaning, why not put the kids in front of the tv. And I knew if I had unlimited options, the tv would come on at 6 am and go off at 10 pm.
Now that we have cable? Yes. It is exactly like that. I'm always either learning to cook, learning to decorate or learning what not to wear. From 6 am to 10 pm. And the kids? I prefer not to go there.The point of this is, we did not have cable and I could not watch what everyone was talking about - Sex and the City. My choice, right? My best friend, she didn't want me to be left out. So you know what she did? For two years, she taped it for me. The very day after it was on, there would be a tape on my doorstep. She didn't miss an episode. And to top it off? Sometimes she'd drop off the tape with baked goods!

So, of course, we had to go to the movie together. And I sat next to a man (Yes! there was a man at the show!) who proceeded to burp and make weird snarfling noises throughout the movie and that reduced my best friend and I into fits of giggles that made my sides hurt.
And at the end of the movie, when I was watching the four friends together, I was thinking about how if we move to Jordan, I will miss my best friend. I've been spending most of my time worrying about my girls making friends. But truth be told, I'm also worried about me. And when she dropped me off, she told me, "If you go to Jordan, you'll be gone for your 40th birthday." And I knew. She will also miss me. And suddenly, two years felt like a very long time to be gone. Especially when you are so far from a best friend.
Samantha inspired accessories all found here at Vivre.com
7 comments:
Great story - I loved reading it. And I'm on my way over to check out those great necklaces now!!
Did you see the movie? Samantha has a double strand of the blue. I couldn't find a double strand. But, I like these. Really, I could take any color.
The hardest part about living overseas is being away from close friends. My best friend often sends me little e-mails to let me know she's thinking of me. I send her little trinkets to let her know that no matter the distance, I'm still "here" for her whenever, where ever.
The best part? Making new friends who will mean as much as the old...
What an awesome post (but which of them aren't?!). Well, if you DO move to Jordan, surely we can be friends, although I warn you that I don't stock up on nice plates, only tape things on my TIVO, and never wear anything but jeans. In fact, perhaps we're MEANT to meet? :)
It is really tough leaving behind your best friend - but I have been doing it for 20 years and she keeps forgiving me... and somehow I am still god-mother to her son, and I know what is going on in her life all the time and she mine. Skype is a beautiful thing - last month we had a 2 hour face to face crying fest... perfect.
And on the brighter side.... you might meet some more 'best friends'... they are hiding everywhere (especially if you can produce chocolate chip cookies)
Oh and another thing... Not much hope of seeing SITC here in Cairo... and it is breaking my heart!!! roll on summer hols.
What an awesome post about your friend.... we would all be lucky to have someone like that! And friendship would definitely last if you moved!!! She will always be there for you!! :) And I hope you guys loved Sex and the City!! What an amazing movie! xoxox
Post a Comment