I’ve tried very hard to teach my girls the difference between being polite and being a doormat. For example, when being pursued by an aggressive salesperson I’ll say, “No, thank you.” Should they persist, they get the hand. As in, talk to it. Accompanying the hand is the evil eye that says, “I told you no. Don’t ou dare doubt my intentions.” This results in the pea’s absolute mortification. They can’t believe I would be so “rude.” I try my darndest to teach them that we all get to have our boundaries, and we get to set those boundaries. No one runs over us. No one.
So basically, I think of myself as someone who dishes it, but refuses to take it. Until now.
As you know, we have the house up for rent. Our rental agency does the prescreening, but I am responsible for showing the house. Last week, I received a call from an interested party. We’ll call her Robin, because that is her name. The conversation began with, “Are you an owner or a renter?” This was the first thing that caught me off guard. The leasing agency said it would be easier for me if I led the potential renters to believe I was a renter. But here’s the deal. I’ve lived here 7 years. And if there is one thing I know, the minute the moving truck pulls up with their stuff, the renter will have the whole history of the neighborhood within 10 minutes of arriving. This is thanks to the fact that it is a quiet cul-de-sac where everybody knows your name …thanks to one particular neighbor. Now I love this neighbor. How can you not love the neighbor who will know the neighborhood scoop moments after it happens, then dispenses the news freely? I’m given no choice to lie, nor do I have the inclination. So, I admit that I am the owner. The next question is, “Are you looking to sell?” “That is not something we are considering,” was my polite response. Then, she. ran. me. down. “Well, you better start thinking of a price in case we like the house.” I’m sorry. What???? That hit me like a sucker blow to the gut. Sell? Out of the question. BUT, I need renters. She was the first one to call. Getting in her face wasn’t an option. So instead of meeting her sucker punch with some smart alec upper cut to the chin, I murmured some innane comment I can't even recall. During the rest of the conversation she told me how they wanted to be in our neighborhood, our house looked to be updated, and pretty much, she wanted it if it suit her. She came to the house to take a tour the next day.
“I want this house. We’re not going to be ready to sign for a day or two. But do not rent this house out before then.………please.” I'm practically down on my knees in weakness as I explain that she needs to complete the forms and take them to the rental agent.
Sunday phone call. “We’re going to rent the house. I want to come Tuesday to show the kids.” Finally, I found my bravado that only another potential renter could provide. “Did you turn in your paperwork? Hmmmm. Well, you’ll need to do that because I had another very interested party here on Friday who indicated they were turning in their paperwork. But, if you want to come by Tuesday, you can call in the AM, and I’ll let you know our plans.”
I was bullied by economics. I was left having to be polite when I wanted to be in control. All those conversations with the peas fell on infertile ground. Not renting the house? Not an option. My SP and I swore to each other we would come back from Jordan poor. But that was because if his company is willing to pay to move us over there, we want to take advantage of all the travel opportunities we can. Not pay for a house that is sitting empty.
I’m actually hoping Robin gets the house. This house was made for a woman who is willing to pull punches and barrel through life getting her own way. And I don’t doubt she’ll love it like her own. The other woman? She was altogether lovely. Simply delightful. Couldn't have been nicer. So, pretty much my complete polar opposite. The neighbors will adore her, and really? I just can't take that.
Now my only lament is: the rent is set. Why, oh why, can’t we have a bidding war?
Monday, June 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
Oh that has to be hard! We had to sell our house in MD because we knew we weren't coming back there. I can't imagine thinking of someone else in 'my' house (even now two years later it is somehow still MY house!).
Oh man...what a tough one. At least you have lovely paintings to go with!
Yikes. I'm interested to hear how this turns out.
My hubby and I know we will be out of the States for at least 5 years, maybe longer, and I didn't want the headache of renters. We decided to sell. You are braver than I am and I hope you get a worthy renter!
Since you plan to move back, obviously, you need to select a renter who is heavier than you yet can't cook, not as pretty or as nice as you, who doesn't dress as artistically yet who has a flair for her home so she will keep your home nice. Bratty kids would be a bonus, but then you have to worry that your cabinets will be hanging by a thread and you'll have to repaint all of your trim and scrub all of the boogers off the wall by their beds. Good luck with that. Ouch.
Oh, and thanks for leaving a comment on my blog:)
Wow... what a pickle. I definitely agree that having Robin in YOUR house would ensure that it will be kept in fantastic shape. However, it is YOUR house up and until the day you decide to sell it. Being strong armed sure doesn't make me happy. You're a better woman than me... I would have made a very sassy comment that probably would ruin the rental deal.
Good luck!
Andrea & Diane - be glad you didn't have to sell in this market! and it will be fun to come back and find a new home!
Please sir - I loved these paintings when I found them! Glad you liked them too.
Mary - I will sooooo keep you posted.
Tiffany - You pegged exactly what I was trying to say. Until the boogers. Hadn't thought about boogers.
Interesting art work!
Post a Comment