Friday, June 20, 2008

Liar, Liar

With one email, the boulder that was poised on the precipice came rolling down. And even though you can see the Mack truck coming? It doesn't mean it won't hurt when it hits you.

Six weeks. We now have six weeks before we pack up and head half way around the world. Even though we've been talking about this for months? Imagine my surprise at my girl's surprise. It hit them with full force. It was real.

But for them? There was a second boulder. They were going away. For eight days. Without us. Eight days at the beach house with the grandparents. And I underestimated the nerves. I underestimated.

So our day started with errands. Extra passport photos at Walgreens and candy for the airplane. Borders for new books for the plane. And on, and on we rushed, while my SP sat in the car on the cell phone trying to fit together all the pieces of the puzzle that would take us far, far away from here.


I'd made an appointment with the pediatrician months ago. Moving half way around the world involves shots. One per arm. And someone who has no pigment? She got paler, and paler. She lay down on the examining room floor. She lay down in the hall. She lay down in the back of the car. She did recover, but the stress was getting to her.

Two frozen custards later, we found ourselves at the bank to notarize the rental agreements. The notary public? She is absolutely certain that we will meet with the worst demise where we are heading. If we do end up kidnapped? Maimed? Blown apart? Could someone please inform her. I'm sure she will feel most vindicated. I'm tired of justifying myself. I'm tired of the concern. I'm tired of meeting the objections with a meek smile and not having a cut-you-down-to-size, smart ass remark to make.


And the day was like that right up until bed. Arms were sore. My little one still has trouble swallowing pills. But she didn't want to let on. So when I heard, "Hey. Why is there a pill in the trash? Who didn't want their ibuprofen?" I raged at the lie. Lie by deception. She stood before me and made like she had taken the pill. We don't lie to each other. We don't lie to each other. In the ensuing tears, I felt horrible. So many big steps. All at once. So we ended up just holding on to each other. I got wrapped up in how much there is to do. I didn't see the big picture. Only all the steps we still have to take. I underestimated the big leaps we were asking her to make.

All paper cuttings are by Peter Callesen. Click any image to visit. I might use his images every post I love them that much!

7 comments:

Mimi Cooks said...

thanks for visiting my blog today...the beans should cook great in the crockpot and i hope you will like them when you get to jordan...you can buy them ready made to take home or go to the specialty restaurants and eat it there instead of making it at home. good luck in your travel and new home!

mary s. said...

That top image is really fantastic. And really...6 weeks? Wow. Incredibly exciting AND stressful, I'm sure!

C.C. said...

May I join your pity party? Thank you so much for visiting my blog on this day when I find myself weepy and sad and not wanting to move to Africa. I know you know how all this feels. Hugs to you and your family as you navigate this huge change. Please drop by my blog anytime. I look forward to reading more of your blog!

Jill said...

Your kids are at an age where it's going to hit them much harder than you or even they will expect.

My 5 year old bawled when we left Israel... she started crying when we left her last ballet class and said she was sad because all of her friends were going to forget her.

This is where all the creature comforts come into play... things that are important to them that will desperately need to make the move with you - even if it seems inane to you! Your girls are going to have an absolute blast once they get there, but don't be surprised if it's super bumpy along the way. :)

karey m. said...

WOW! you like papercuts, too? i'm obsessed.

i'll add it to the ever-growing list of similarities between us, right?

good luck on the move! it's always stressful, but your babes will adjust quickly...

please sir said...

Love the paper images...the first one is great.

Unknown said...

Hang in there... baby steps... you will get everything done & the girls will be fine.... : )