
I think I've done rather well. Not a single moment of homesickness. In fact, I've been having a rather wonderful adventure. Until today.
Today was the littlest pea's Halloween party at school. I was really looking forward to it. I haven't been to the school much due to the lack of a car. I wanted to mingle with the other parents, get to know some of the kids.
Only the littlest pea had a party. The biggest pea is in middle school, so parties are a thing of the past. She wore her witch costume over her jeans and fret about whether any of her friends would show up in costume. Remember how at that age it is so important to do what everyone else is doing? I tried to convince her even if she was the only one in costume, she looked rather Goth, which I assured her could be really cool in certain non-mainstream circles.
So I arrived early to help the littlest pea into her costume before the class went outside for the parade. As soon as the kids got outside, it started to rain. Yes. It rained on our parade.
The kids regrouped in the halls and had a wonderful time showing the other classes their costumes. They came back to the class for the party - only there wasn't one.
Just for a little background ~ back at our old school? Over the top parties. Tables in the halls with every mom competing for most clever treats. Cauldrons with smoking punch. Stories were read, cupcakes consumed, games played. Today? An essay on why they should be able to consume candy in the classroom. Candy, by the way, brought in treat bags by me. I just wanted to share the wonderful booty our friends had sent us. I had no idea I would be the ONLY parent doing ANYTHING.
I sat in the classroom - alone - taking pictures. There was no social hour where all the parents gathered. And I began to feel very, very sad.
When the SP called? I just couldn't keep my disappointment in. Luckily, the teacher's workroom is right next door. So I went in and had my first little cry. It was a bit pathetic really.
And if you ask the littlest pea? Her day was perfectly wonderful.
14 comments:
aww, Im sorry. At least your daughter was not upset. I hope you will share some pics with us.
Aww, I'm so sorry! It is hard because you do eventually have that one day where suddenly it snaps and you think 'this is not my home and that's where I want to be.' I think you've done amazing to have been so happy for the experience you're having and enjoying the positives for so long before needing a moment to... mourn if you will :)
There may be more days where this happens (I've had more than enough of them) but I think you are a positive happy person who likes the adventure of your new place. So you have to focus on that.
Sending you some cyber candy corn to cheer you up and rot your teeth ;)
I'm amazed you lasted this long. Here in Beijing, we call it the "ten-day freak-out," because everyone seems to have a breakdown at that time. Maybe it's the melamine buildup, who knows?
There are always those days when things aren't what you expected and you get so sad. For me, they are often associated with holidays, because they just can't be they same, or with random social gatherings, because hello? Who are these people and where are my friends?
But you'll get through it. And next year, maybe you can be that crazy mom who organizes the awesome Halloween party in the classroom and makes the rest of us jealous with your smoking cauldrons and homemade whatevers.
Bummer. Halloween day is my favorite at school. The little costumes make me so happy.
At least your daughter had fun.
Happy Halloween!
awww! it's funny what will set off the tears...bc they always always come at some point!
poor thing.
Aww. I'm sorry about the party, though I suppose your tears were more about other pent-up things. Personally, I think you have taken to this expat thing so very well. You're a natural. Everyone has a rough day.
I'm so sorry to hear that things didn't go as hoped. I agree with Donna. Next time, next event, be that crazy room mom! I am room mom for both kids this year - I was soooo scared to sign up for it! I've been in awe of organized room moms in past. I've always been 'absent; at work' and barely involved. What do I know?! But I jumped in feet first, and one of the first things I learned is that most of the other parents are just waiting for someone else to organize things and to ask for help. We attended our kids' parties today and despite illnesses and last minute changes, etc. they turned out well. If your kids already have room moms, get in touch with them and offer to be a 'deputy' room mom.
You can still have a Halloween party at home! Even if it is just your family :-) (((hugs)))
Have a safe and happy Halloween!
smiles,
kari & kijsa
Happy Halloween. It is really days like these that are the hardest - special holidays, birthdays. I definitely think next year you should take charge and get the party started!! Still won't be the same as home though:(
I'm thinking about coming up with some new family 'traditions' to do here as well -maybe something at the end of Ramadan.
okay - that is sad!! I'm serious when I say that I really felt your pain when I read that!! Well, they just don't know what they are missing!
My heart is breaking for you! I have been there... what is worse, is when you start to become indifferent... for the first 3 years I tried to do EVERYTHING... but this year I was kindda like all of the other parents... SAD... Maybe you should be the room mother? just an idea-
Awww... Sadly I kind of expected you would be the only one. After all, it's not a very big holiday here. Although, all the Beans had activities at their school, so we were lucky.
We missed the peas at our little party/mini-trick-or-treat-a-thon. I was encouraged by how many folks we had come who had never trick-or-treated before. Imagine I got to be the Mom who introduced these kids (both local and American) to the joys of trick-or-treating!
Awww...I'm sure they were just happy you were there...which makes it fun!
I truly feel for you. I'm sorry that happened - situations like that are sad. A good little cry helps. Your daughter's day was perfectly wonderful because you were there!
Post a Comment