Monday, October 20, 2008

Look Ma! I'm a Porn Star!



I'll admit I've done it. I'm not proud, but it's true. The thing is? There are lots of things that are done here that you just don't see in the U.S. So, I try to capture it on film. Discreetly. The best way to do this? Pretend you are taking a picture of someone (kids, spouse, friend...) when you are really taking a picture of something right behind them. 

The last time we were at the Dead Sea, I employed this tactic with the Muslim women's swimwear. Here's the deal. Swimming? It's been tried in the burka. The result? Not so good. So, the resorts will not allow women in the pool unless they are wearing 'swimwear'. I'd never seen this before. Hence, the sly attempts at picture taking.

This weekend we took visiting friends to the Dead Sea. I struggle with the whole 'cover-up' thing - mainly because it is HOT in the desert. Go figure. But I'm trying to go with the whole custom-thing and not upset my host country. So in the water, I wear board shorts and a tank. Long board shorts. Two inches above the knee board shorts. 

I get in the Dead Sea up to those knees. I'm standing in the water watching one pea in the water while waiting for the other to come in ~ when I notice it. This group of four Arab men, they are floating towards me. And really sly? THEY ARE TAKING PICTURES OF ME!!!! Let's review. In the water up to my knees. Wearing board shorts to right about the knees. Wearing a tank that shows maybe a 1/2" of my waist but definitely my arms and shoulders. But to them? More skin than any nice woman would wear. Which meant the pictures they were trying to get of me? Porn. 

This? 

I get it now. Sly pictures suck. 

13 comments:

Donna said...

We have papparazzi here in Beijing, too. Not because of our swimwear (I don't think), but because we look so darn foreign. The only time it really bugs me is when I'm nursing the baby and people pull out their camera phones. I say, keep taking pictures, sly or no. As long as you're not being lecherous and leering, and you're not getting up in their faces, you should be fine. In my moral book, anyway.

mary s. said...

Oh my!! I would've pulled a Britney, too.

Amy said...

Well I have to say I'm thinking you're famous. Next time put on a big smile and ask if any of them want to get in a picture with you. And you might as well wear your bathing suit, board shorts and a tank top? Sounds very Gidget to me. I'm kidding. Good for you being respectful.

Lynda said...

Well, essentially you were in public wearing your undergarments, missy... of course they want to gawk. Good for you, at least you tried to be conservative - some of the Egyptian beach resorts are now full of foreigners that think they are in the South of France and are going topless..not good.. really not good.

karey m. said...

wait a minute! where were you?!

because those resorts...the jordanian women are pretty much naked! as well as all the visiting tourists...

you didn't go to the public beach, did you? stick to the kempinski and you can wear a thong and no one would notice.

well. i might take a pic of your bum and post it on my blog...but other than that! you'd be fine! xoxo.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine that. I had a woman from Michigan tell me she wouldn't wear shorts here because German women don't wear them much for whatever reason (which is true). I don't care and wear nice respectable knee length shorts (it's too hot otherwise). I can not imagine being in a place where it's about modesty and much more improper to wear shorts. I think that would be very hard for me.

Kudos to you for trying to follow the customs.

Connie said...

What is really strange to me, is I get as many STARES from women as men. I realize that the culture, in general, is invasive of personal space, and touchy-feely.. and I am not (too much proper military in my background) but for some reason, I am too approachable and women want to hold my hand or arm, stroke my hair, etc. Motherly or sisterly - nothing weird, except the whole 'why is this total stranger touching me?!' business!

I've seen the swimming outfits at Ain Sukhna - they look horribly hot and uncomfortable. Bet they keep the jelly fish off though. :-p

Khadra said...

You should have flashed them, they probably would have fainted!!

MommaBean said...

I'm with Karey. Everywhere we go is full of bikinis. String bikins. Indecent string bikinis. Iwear a normal ordinary one-piece. The reality is it wasn't the board shorts... you're just too hot! Porn star.

Jill said...

I don't mind people taking photos of me... but of my kids? I get snarky and have started asking for money in return. That stops them real quickly!

As for the covering up? I remember doing so for my first year in the Middle East - then I realized that I'm going to be stared at regardless, so I loosened up a bit.

But a bathing suit at a public beach? Um... I don't think I ever did that.

Verity said...

hehehe! when I read the heading and the first line I was like 'what the..?!!' lol :)

Kim said...

okay - that is funny!!! I really didn't know where you were going with that one with that title!! haha

Gutsy Living said...

So I'm curious what doe the men wear when they go swimming? Speedos?