Friday, October 24, 2008

Dope. Kewl. Sic. Me.


It's Friday night. I'm at home watching Jeopardy while eating Chinese take-out. Alone. My SP is at a poker game while my littlest pea is playing PS2 with her sleepover friend. Normally, a night like this is not very blog-worthy. But this has to rank up there with one of the Very. Best. Nights. EVER.

Why?


The biggest pea is at her first boy-girl party. Noooo. This is not the reason I am happy. The boy-girl party? My first reaction was ~ No way. Nuh-uh. She is soooooo not old enough for this! 

Maybe the truth is I'm not old enough. Ugh. Remember the angst? The memories are still pretty fresh. However, I've met the parents. Straight-laced would be a good description. So, I let her go.

Of course, she had to go to a friend's house first to get ready. Three hours before the party. I picked them up from the friend's house to take them to the party. There was eye-shadow. There was lip gloss. There were painted nails. There was a tiara

After some of the goofiest conversation I've ever had the pleasure of eavesdropping on, we arrived at the villa. There were kids on the rooftop terrace looking down. And it happened. The dolled-up tweens I was ferrying to the party looked up at the roof, and the most precocious, tiara-wearing one of them all said, "They're looking at us! And we just arrived in a really cool car!"

My station wagon. Really cool. Tears. Happiness. Bliss.  

15 comments:

Khadra said...

LOL! Wonder what they would think of my van? Kids are too funny!

Kim said...

I'm rolling on the floor laughing!

Amy said...

Oh dear. Boy girl parties. It scares me. Because, like you said, what you know the inevitable will be at some point. It's fun though, the whole boy thing was always fun. :)

Tanya said...

I was alone too watching Mad Men. My sons have always had/been to boy girl parties especially Mac I dont think he ever went through the 'Boys only' stage always kicked aorund with a mixed group which is great now he is 14 as they still dont really pair off it would 'ruin the friendship' they reckon...

Lynda said...

One of the highlights of the teen years with 'eldest daughter' - the 'getting ready' and then Mr Dear Husband and I would flip a coin to see who would drive them to their party... just because we loved being in the Aura of their excitement... too much fun.

And the cool car thing is excellent too

Connie said...

Not looking forward to my kids reaching the pre-teen, teen years! Ok, I am sure I will enjoy the adventure, but I want to wait awhile.

Love the reaction to the car!

karey m. said...

oh, you are LUCKY!

kids in my girlies' classes have actually asked me "is that the latest model mercedes?"

uh. do you even know how to spell mercedes kid?!

this is a really really rully good moment.

MommaBean said...

Simple pleasures and simple answers. How much better can life get?

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! I can't believe boy girl stuff at her age already. I asked my six year old if he liked girls (one in particular at school) and he got all embarrassed. I was kidding! I thought that at this age all girls (and boys respectively) had cooties.
They do grow up fast don't they?

Verity said...

Very cute! I can't imagine what it will be like when Yashar gets to that age! PS Blogger has been banned here in Turkey :(

Gutsy Living said...

My 14-year-old, son has invited a girl to homecoming, the only one of my 3 sons. Since I was raised in Europe, I have no clue what this is all about. Anyone care to share?

mary s. said...

Oh that is too funny!

please sir said...

Haha - that is great! Hope you had fun on your me-time night!

karyn said...

My turn is coming soon! I'm sure it is priceless to hear what they have to talk about - how exciting!

Diane Mandy said...

HAHA!!!

That being said, first boy-girl party--WOW!