Oh my precious little pea, look at you with that missing tooth! So proud and excited about the prospect of a fairy visit. If you wrote a note, would she write back? And your beaming face as you show off the fat, pink rag curlers you wore. The thought of bouncy, big curls in the morning enough to eclipse any discomfort during sleep.
And the three of you in the apple tree. My oldest pea, so lovely, and your hair is highlighted as if you were wearing a halo. Your grandma says you have a missionary's heart. And she's right. Such a sweet spirit and a longing for all that is right and as you look ever higher into the branches, I see your desire to always be climbing.
Those big pink Easter bonnets? Never before and never again could there exist two such lovely creatures.
Oh, the first camping trip. Two Dads, four kids, two tired and weary moms left behind to try to catch up on rest. It was there you learned hide-and-seek 'walky-talky' style. Those clever dads knew how to coax four tired kids up the trail.
Dance recitals with velvety tops and flowing skirts. There is something about us moms. You are at your most awkward, with knobby little knees and turned in toes, and yet we see the beautiful dancer inside.
I remember all of these moments. I look at your faces and I can still feel how I felt back then. It's the 'then' that I can't remember. It feels like the ultimate sin. There are no labels, there are no dates. When was 'then?'
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment