Saturday, May 24, 2008

Papparazzi Fiasco!

I need to confess to you first that I make my living by being a weee bit deceitful. I'm a competitive intelligence professional. Intelligence, as in gathering facts and info and passing them on. Yes. That kind of intelligence. So, I never do anything illegal. No, no, no. It's just that not everything is quite as it seems. Sound vague enough? I hope so, because that is my job.

You would think, having a somewhat... let's call it sneaky job, that I could snap a pic of someone for this blog. Oh no. I failed at this task miserably.

Let me back up and explain. If we move to Jordan (yes, we are back to IF. See previous post.) I have some sights I know I won't be seeing in Amman that are unique to here and I wanted to post them. One such site is the book walker. Yep, the book walker. I see her on a regular basis, and have for 7 years, out for a daily walk while reading. No. Not listening to a book on tape. Reading. I know. It's simply not done. It's a recipe for disaster. Or at the least, skinned knees and palms. But not for this woman. She goes for miles. I know because I've seen her kickass legs. You kinda have to see it to get what I mean ~ hence the pic.

So, I see her crossing a major intersection on my way to the grocery store just past the intersection. And I have my camera. So I pull into the parking lot's very last spot and wait for her to pass so I can snap a shot of her. This turned into the most nerve wracking thing. Should I? Could I? If she looked up, I wondered: How exactly was I going to explain myself? "Umm. It's for my blog? Because what you do. That's strange. I mean weird. No, no, I mean different." She might not appreciate my picture taking and go all Robert Downey Jr. on me. Or worse, Brittney with an umbrella. Only all she'd have is her book. But, in my defense, it did look like a hardback. My nerves, apparently are not made of steel. The result is I panicked, and this is the resulting photo:


She's reading a book. I swear. I mean, you kinda have to see it to believe it...

No comments: