Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Our Pathetic Story

March. The SP learns of an opening in Amman, Jordan. We have always wanted an expat experience, so we go to the informational meeting. There, we talk with people already in Amman, we learn more about the position, and they fill us in on the necessary details: Furnished apartment, store our belongings, ship 1 car.... We'd like to have your whole family there by July 1st.

So, the SP applies and gets the job. They fly him to Florida to meet with the US team he'll be working with. Oh, and by the way, we have no funding to do any of what we told you. Would you like to go over for a few months without your family? Umm, not so much.

Here we are waiting to see if funding will go through. I now own an artificial Christmas tree, just in case. I have held off buying the girls any summer clothes until I know whether we will be buying shorts or long pants. (This has actually worked to my advantage since it is currently in the 50s and raining.) We've sold off one car already, and I had renters come through the house over the weekend. My garage is packed full of items for a garage sale and a brand new couch that I don't want to bring in and take out of the plastic until I know if we'll be going.

Sigh. Amman, I still think we could be good together.

flick.it

I see Amman now only in black and white. Hoping for a day when we can see it in color.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I'm so sorry - I hope that you get the good news soon that you'll be heading over to Amman...

AnnieG said...

Thank you! If we don't get to go, I'll just have to live vicariously through you. India. Man alive - that is going to be something.