Sunday, July 6, 2008

My Sexy Future

What takes 2 gallons of gas and can go for 200 miles? The Vespa! Ever since I saw one in a storefront that had a tricked out paint job of aqua blue with deep blue bubbles, I've wanted, wanted, wanted one.

On the fourth of July, when we arrived at the pool, my friend Sara was conspicuously absent. The reason? She was arriving separately on the new Vespa her husband had given her for her birthday. I am sure I turned 4 shades of green with envy when he told us.


Her new Vespa? A classic butter yellow. And, she let me ride it! Of course, the first thing everyone said was not to tip it over. Which scared the pee out of me because all I could envision was asphalt marks across butter yellow. Plus, I am not good with motorized vehicles. If you don't believe me, you should see the dents in the back of our truck from where I've hit a pole.... and other blatantly obvious stationary items I've failed to see. My new car has a back-up sensor, which works great.... as long as you don't ignore it. If you ignore it, you might find that you've run over the fertilizer spreader. But Good News! The Vespa does not have reverse! So I rode the Vespa going forward and I looked sooooo unbelievably cute! How do I know? Because everyone looks sooooo unbelievably cute on a Vespa! 

As soon as I get back from Amman, and gas has risen to the predicted $7 per gallon, I am sooooo getting a Vespa! And I think I'll start a gang. We'll all be required to wear guazy scarves. And mine will have a tricked out paint job. And, we're going to have to travel everywhere in straight lines 'cuz I can't turn. I really only see one problem to my plan. Do you think they make Vespa snow tires?

10 comments:

Amy said...

I think you're onto something. I want hot pink. Listen, for winter just through some chains on those tires and hope for the best.

Suzanne said...

That sounds like so much fun. I rode a big motorcycle, back in the day! Unfortunately, a Vespa is not an option out here on the prairie where the locals drive at least four times the top speed of a motor scooter. I'd be toast within four days.

I think you'd look adorable on a turquoise model.

- suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love Vespa's. You'll have to move someplace cool (like the DC area, hint hint) so we can form that Vespa club! Winter? We winter in someplace like Italy.

Jill said...

I have been living in Vespa countries forever - everyone in Israel rode them...I hear that they all ride them in India too. I find them cute and adorable, but for some reason they still scare the daylights out of me.

karey m. said...

you will be a champion driver of ANYTHING once you leave here...

the land of two lanes becoming four, no enforced speed limits {not to mention baby seats}...no rules whatsoever.

and yes! turquoise {my fave!}...

what date so you arrive, by the way? and do you have a house yet?

Simple Answer said...

Amy - Yes chains are a brilliant thought!

Suzanne - I hear Amman has crazy drivers too. They aren't so bad here.

Andrea - Even if I'm not in DC, you would definitely be an honorary member. Winter in Italy? Brilliant!

Jill - I was soooo scared. Really, I will only be driving straight. No turns - too tippy.

Karey - We could have matching ones in turquoise! We get there August 2nd. I haven't heard if we have housing yet. I'll keep ya posted!

mary s. said...

Darn. I wanted turquoise. But I'll take cherry red. So fun!

Eve Grey said...

I want one now too!

Sarah said...

Can you valet a Vespa???

Go for hot pink with a custom seat... Very stylish...

I clicked through to your blog form Amy @ Crazy but the cool kind...
Great blog.. very funny! I'll be back

please sir said...

I LOVE Vespas - they are so cute and fun - get one!