Tomorrow's the 4th and we have plans literally from sunup (mtn. bike ride) to sundown (fireworks off our friend's deck). The entire day we will be moving from activity to party to party to party. The part I am most looking forward to? Spending it with a dear, dear friend who literally epitomizes all that is good with this country.
Our neighborhood is about 5 miles away from an army base. I met this special friend when our youngest two were in the same class. My friend's husband is on his third 15-month tour in Iraq. He left right before Christmas, and this time? It is different. He is the commander. Even though my friend has not signed up for military service, she has taken on more than I think I could possibly endure. First, she decided to completely reorganize the process for families before they deploy to make it more user-friendly and easier to access. After her husband left, she was given a beeper so she can be available 24/7 for the families who have been left behind. She opens her home one morning a week for all the spouses in her husband's command to give them a chance to be together and share concerns. In an effort to keep them all healthy, she organized a "Walk to Iraq." The spouses left behind are competing with another army base to see what group can log the most miles either walking or running. They all wear pedometers and try to get a set number of miles in everyday. And every time there is a funeral? She is there. Meals and anything else for the family are organized by her. None of this is required of her. These are the things she requires of herself.
Plain and simple? War sucks. But I am sooooo proud to be able to call this woman my friend. Because I think in her position? I might just curl up into a ball for the entire time. But my friend? She has risen far and above. And her sacrifice? Even if we all abhor war? Her sacrifice and her strength are admirable and honorable. So tomorrow night, I'll be toasting her and thanking my lucky stars that this nation has not only her, but thousands of others whose strength and beauty are at this nation's heart.
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
I loved this post, and I LOVE your friend for all that she's doing. (And her husband, too.)
Oh, and I love those little retro ladies you've got scattered about. :)
She is a terrific example of a can-do spirit that makes this country great. Those who don't buckle under pressure but funnel the energy into a creative solution. I love it. Thanks for sharing her story.
- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife
You definitely have a great friend! It's amazing what she's doing... I love strong women!
Our next post will be the first time we haven't had any military... an odd feeling after seeing Marine Guards every day and attending the Marine Corps Ball...
This is definitely a holiday I miss living abroad. A chance to express our patriotism and honor people like your friend and her husband for their commitments to the country and our freedom.
Have a wonderful 4th of July and eat some bbq and apple pie for me!
This is a great post. What a great woman. WHat a great example for everyone.
What a woman! and and I like the retro style ladies! Thanks for dropping by my blog and for your kind comment. I imagine moving to Jordan would be amazing! Istanbul is fantastic so I highly recommend a visit!
I added you to my blog roll, I hope that's okay. Happy fourth of July.
The best Fourth of July post we read! A perfect example of what today stands for!!
Happy Independence Day!
kari & kijsa
Beautiful post...I can't even imagine what she goes through... Please let her know that we all think she is wonderful too!
Thank you for all of your kind comments.... sorry I have been MIA but I am back now. : )
Thank you for your nice comment. It was so sweet and made my night, which has been slightly rough. Details tomorrow. Tell your husband I he cheered me up!!
Post a Comment