
Ever hear of Del Rio, Texas? From San Antonio, you head due West through nothing on your way to nowhere until you hit the Mexican border. And there you are. It's more Mexican than American, so the "manana" attitude abounds. Manana is great if you are at the beach at Cabo. Not so great if you need to pick up your dry cleaning. I'd often see a sign like the one above. The problem was, you never knew when the minutes started. So, if it said 30 minutes, you'd have to come back in 30 minutes. Even when you came back, the business may or may not have opened as promised.
Why do I bring this up? They come to pick up our first shipment in the AM, which means my precious IMac will be packed away. I had hoped I could still blog until our flight out of the country on August 1st. But, we're staying with my mom and she has DIAL-UP! Why torture our political detainees with waterboarding? Dial-up would be much crueler and more effective. I've had to face the hard facts that my blogging days will be temporarily suspended.
Here's where the betting part comes in. When do you think our shipment will arrive in Jordan? I can't blog until I get my computer. The estimate is that we'll get our stuff August 25th. But before you place your bet, let's review how this move has gone so far.
1. My SP was offered the job in April. HOWEVER, there was no actual money to move us. It wasn't until late June that they 'found' the funds, which means we have had 6 weeks to try to get this move together.
2. I was informed today that it will take over 2 months to get my car. Let's see. That means 2 months with no way to get the kids to school, to get to the grocery store, to go to the gym or to just get out of the house. This is important to remember because the shipment will contain everything that would otherwise entertain me. Without the shipment, I will have no TV, no computer, and no bakeware. Now, we're hoping we can just rent a car or get a driver for a few months, but I definitely think that the lack of anything to entertain me while I'm stuck at home will have an effect on the date the shipment will arrive.
3. We sold "JET BLACK. Finest truck in all the land" to my personal trainer back in May. He told us we could hold on to the truck until it was time for us to go. Then it looked like we weren't going to go, or maybe we just couldn't go until October....in the meantime, he needed to make other arrangements. Of course we understand that. So now, in addition to this week of moving, the dentist/doctor/haircut appointments we still have, and the shots I still need to get, we now need to figure out what to do with JET BLACK.
4. I won't have my two dogs with me. I can't keep our overactive Vizsla in an apartment. He would suffer. We thought about bringing our little beagle/lab, but when I brought her to the vet last week, she thought since she would be 12 when she would be brought back, and given her chronic health problems, we shouldn't bring her. We brought the dogs to live at my in-laws tonight. I've already had a taste of how lonely it is to come into a house with no dogs to greet me. This will without a doubt have an effect on how long the shipment will take. I won't have the distraction of unpacking boxes until my shipment comes.
5. Finally, I personally suspect the date will be around September 11th. That is the day I head to France for 10 days with my mom, making it the most inconvenient time for it to come. And I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law.
So now that you have all the information, what is your bet? When do you think our first shipment will arrive? The winner with the closest date will receive both an award and recognition. I'll be presenting both from Amman when my IMac and I are reunited.
Until then, you will all be missed. But, I do hope to use my in-laws computers to at least check up and read about you! Be well.
20 comments:
Oh I'm SOOOOOOO terribly sad that you won't be online for quite some time. I've enjoyed our daily comments and look forward each day to something new!
Wishing you the BEST, BEST, BEST of luck with your pack out tomorrow. Deep breaths - and just in case you hadn't already planned on it - make sure to buy your movers lunch or coffees or something. Keeping them "happy" keeps your stuff intact!
Oh yes, my best guess for your stuff to arrive. While I too am a big believer in Murphy's Law - I'm going to say September 8th (my first thought was Sept 5th.. but I'm going with the 8th...)
Take care!
I finally find your blog and you disappear! Bad luck for me. But - Good luck with the move. And I've no idea when your stuff will arrive, but I'll guess Sept. 1.
You'll survive without stuff - I've done it numerous times, and here's what I'm certain of: by the time your crates arrive, and you look at everything you need to unpack, you'll think "no way I want to unpack all this junk. Will I really miss it if I just pitch the whole container?"
Of course, please come to your senses and unpack - don't pitch it, or you'll find yourself in need of some mylanta and margarita mix a few weeks later. Not necessarily in that order.
Prepare for some crazy sights, smells and sounds when you arrive - but sooner than soon, it'll feel like home. It'll BE home.
Good luck, and write when you get there,
emailfromtheembassy.blogspot.com
YIKES! I remember that feeling of having nothing. I am going to guess September 5, though now I write that I see Jill guessed that first. So I say Sept 4 then.
I am sending you lots of good moving & transition vibes.
I have heard of Del Rio - in fact know someone (through roundabout ways) who lives there. Her dh is a government something or other. I met her when she lived near me here.
I'm sorry about your dogs. That would be very hard.
Be safe in your travels!
I'm sad too. I am going to miss hearing from you. Why can't you carry on that Mac?
You will make it though, maybe keep an actual (this is going to sound ca-razy) a written journal so you can update us when you get your computer?
I wish you this best of luck. It sounds like a lot but I am sure it will be an amazing adventure.
Best of luck. Kiss every plane (kiss your hand, smack the side of the plane getting on) and you will be fine. At least, that's what I think. Miss you! Amy
Wishing you such good luck, sweetie! See you on the other side!
Cxx
I say September 9th. This is quite a challenge you are taking on. I'm already missing C.C. - she's on her way to Africa with no way of telling when and if she'll be back online. Now you're going offline and I think Jill is getting ready to leave. OMIGOSH, it's going to be so lonely. You're on my blogroll though and I'll be notified the minutes you update.
OH...by the way, I've BEEN in Del Rio and you've captured the ambience perfectly. The same goes for Laredo. I thought I was in a Clint Eastwood western.
- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife
We got our stuff in Cairo fairly quickly. The car came in about a month. It is so variable.
Using a car with a driver is an excellent way to get to know the traffic, directions, 'culture' of the road, etc. Look at it as 'driver's ed'. We sold our car, for a very fair price, at Car Max... on the way to the airport! Good luck.
Oh my.. I just checked for Ramadhan. It is supposed to start on Sept. 1st this year. Um. Let us pray now that your stuff gets in August 25th. What you describe about Del Rio.. um.. take that times ten for Ramadhan. Everyone sleeps late, gets tired and cranky early in the day (no food or cigs), leaves early to RUSH home (watch the traffic) to feast all night. Repeat daily for one month. Nothing gets done. It is an interesting time and you should be invited to some nice Iftar dinners (fast breaking meals after sunset), but pack extra patience!! Our stuff made it in ok around Ramadhan time. I'll make my guess August 27th (with fingers crossed for luck).
Sorry about not being able to bring your furbabies :-( Our cats are getting old and travel is going to be harder and harder with them.
Wow! I hope everything goes smoothly for you. What a crazy, whirlwind, stressful time - but a once-in-a-lifetime time, too.
As for the 'bet' - I'm going to say Sept. 15, since that's our wedding anniversary. (Believe me - I hope I'm so wrong.)
I can't wait to hear about EVERYthing!!
I'm betting five weeks. Either way, you will be missed. Look forward to catching up on the other side.
WOW - you have lots of your plate! I have NO clue when the shipment will come - oh my! Just keep your spirits high, and hello FRANCE?!
Gonna miss you! I am saying a prayer that everything will go smooth. can't you blog from an internet cafe or something? When we moved to Norway, while I was waiting on our things I went to the library & used their computer... hang in there! Good luck!
best of luck.
i hope you know that you'll be missed here.
my bet: august 28
Any realistic date seems like way too long to me, so I will not venture a guess for fear of being a "Debby Downer". I agree with Amy. A journal is a great idea. You could record the adventure and update us when the computer arrives. Best of Luck!!
Wishing you luck and hoping everything goes smoothly :)
I'm going to say September 2. And I know where you are coming from! It seems that the 'flexible' concept of time is here in Istanbul too. It took us sooo long to get things organised and at times got very frustrating.
In the end I just gave up and went with the flow - definitely less stressful. A few follow up calls helped and about half the time it also helped if we made mention of our baby (we always made sure he was on full show when we asking for assistance). People are so helpful with kids here and so he opened a few doors for us! Hope it is the same in Jordan (the helpful part, not the frustrating waiting part!)
Having done this a few times now, I feel for you... but this I know to be true: Embrace the word Serendipity..... Somehow, just the act of packing up and moving opens up space for more wonderful things and people to enter. You will find another 'Thursday Night Root Beer Fest', it will just look different. Personally I love the time before my shipment arrives... you will be amazed at how little housework you have and how tidy you home is all the time. Fingers crossed... all will be well. I look forward to your posts from Jordan.
Well, we're waiting to welcome you to Jordan (and you can come use my computer anytime until yours arrives)... You don't want to know my prediction. We were promised 2 months on our shipment from the US. It took 3 :(. So, I'm going with October 13... Welcome to the Middle East. But, seriously, do dorp me an e-mail (MommaBean@windowslive.com) and I'll give you my personal details for when you arrive.
I see you're back on line. Where are you?
OK hang tough! The first two months are the hardest and it WILL get better. There is actually a freedom in the lack of stuff (which you quickly get over once it arrives.) Good good luck! Can't wait to hear about life in Amman.
Oh and the guess. You don't want to hear from me on this one. May your story be one of the good ones!!
Post a Comment