Do you remember the show Charles in Charge? Do you remember the dishes displayed in the rack in the kitchen? The yellow, handpainted pottery ones? Those are my dishes. As soon as I knew I could have the same dishes Scott Baio walked by everyday on the set, I had to have them. Let's just say my relationship with Scott is, well, complicated.
I'm tired of these dishes. 16 years, ready for a change. The dishes are oversized, don't always fit in a dishwasher or a cabinet, and way too heavy for my restricted weight allowance. And this move is the perfect move to 'move on' if you will.

Target
The plan was to switch to the small set of Villeroy and Boch dishes my MIL gave me when we were first married. Until GG. "What?" When my GG says, "What?" you know you are getting ready for a lecture. "Those dishes are $50 to replace. Plus, what if you need to evacuate? You need to bring stuff you don't mind leaving behind. Buy melamine."

Target
So I was going to obey my GG and buy some melamine. To me? Melamine says camping. Melamine says, well, cute but cheap. When I found some very inexpense dishes at Bed, Bath and Beyond? I bought them. They are glass. Because glass at least said living at home - not at camp. And think of how I can accessorize with darling placemats! And when we have company, they might feel like they were eating at a real house, not a campsite.


Got an email yesterday from a friend of a friend living in Jordan. Their dishes were broken in the move. Lots of stuff was broken in the move. Me? Going to Target to buy some melamine. Had I listened to my GG last week? I could've ordered whatever I wanted online. But, the movers come in 5 days. Man I hate it when my GG is right. But I'm still bringing those glass dishes!
10 comments:
OK.....I'm sorry....... I didn't hear anything you said about the dishes. I don't know.... something about glass vs. plastic. My head is spinning.... I heard the words....
IN CASE WE HAVE TO EVACUATE!!!!!
I would have said, "WHOA, stop buddy. You're going to have to explain that in greater detail."
Stop. Don't get me all upset and worried. I'm thinking shades of Mel Gibson and "The Year of Living Dangerously".
Oh my. I'll have to rest and have a cool drink then I'll come back and read about the dishes.
- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife
Bring the V & B dishes. You'll be happy that you have what you love, and not what you settled for.
Remember... they're just "things" and if they break, you can always replace them.
I'm hoping I break every single one of mine so I can get more when we move to the U.S.... after 8.5 years of marriage, I have YET to break a single dish... seriously, not one dish.
I change my dishes ( a lot...) seriously, it is an addiction I got from my mother... she buys new dishes every year or so....
Maybe you will find something really neat when you move?
oh, you've got to bring what you want to bring. seriously.
this is real life here. just like there. so keep your home as you like your home.
it will make your girlies so happy to have things normal...
Suzanne - Oddly enough, I take comfort in thinking the Marines will get me out should trouble arise. That is my hope anyway!
Jill - I've also been very lucky in 11 moves over 16 years. It's more the evacuate - leave behind part.
Oooo. Finding something new there. Hmmm. Good idea.
Karey - That is why I struggle with this move. The 5,000 lbs, the whole unknown thing. I just want to transition the girls easily. Otherwise, big whoop for me. I'm a happy camper.
I think Target's dishes are so cute. I love them. Good for outside, good for inside and cheery. That's my vote.
You might find some great dishes in Amman, you never know! I have small kids, and have always been a frequent mover - while we have been lucky to not have much lost or broken, I temper my shopping with the thought "Is it worth falling in love with these things, only to have them broken in a move?" We don't deny ourselves nice things, but we try to stay open-minded!
btw - I've been through 2 evacs. My husband stayed behind, and when he curtailed soon after the post becoming unaccompanied, he packed out our house like normal (actually - it was very well-packed! Nothing broken!). I have known a number of others who have been evac'ed and not lost their things. I have known only one person who was evac'ed and lost everything. Evacs happen - but they aren't worth worrying about. I find most of my worries about regular moving to be unfounded as well - altho I have heard some crazy horror stories (like one person's stuff that was actually dropped off the ship, into the water, during unload) We've been very lucky (touch wood).
Lovely dishes - I also loved that show too!
i've been thinking about this all day...bring all the fluff that makes you happy. that will make white and marble feel like a warm home.
i can't stress it enough. home is home is home is home.
where will they go to school? do you need any help?! contacts?! eeeek!
Karey, I emailed ya. Huge thanks for your offer. Very generous.
Post a Comment