Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Let's Go Retro


I was never a skateboard chick. I never had a copy of Thrasher magazine or wore Hurley clothes. 

Oh, I had a skateboard. But it was not from Dogtown. In fact, my board wasn't from uptown or downtown either. But it was from somewhere around town. Most likely Montgomery Wards.

My brother and I would ride our boards down the ginormous hill in front of our house. It's most unfortunate. But the ginormous hill has since shrunk to something more of a gentle slope. But believe me when I say it was hill enough to result in rapid speeds and skinned knees.



Today, the littlest pea informed me she really likes skateboarding. Especially the new rip sticks they have that she got to ride when the neighborhood boy back home would let her.

Could it be? Am I to raise a skateboard chick and would that somehow elevate me to a level of cool I was never to achieve in my own early years?

Of course, there are many difficulties in the way of achieving this new social high. Namely, no real place to ride a skateboard. The sidewalks here are bumped. Yes, bumped. They look like the top of a lego. Add to that the fact that they also plant trees in the middle of them, and sidewalk skating is right out. And the park across the street? Brick paths. So you see, there is no place to get any speed, no place to perform an ollie (okay, I looked that up. do you know an ollie?)


Here's the good news. I've encountered an expert on all things good and girlie. My new flat full of marble floors? Excellent for all manner of wheeled outdoor activities. Scooters, rollerblades....skateboards. Surely it will be quieter for the downstairs neighbors then when at 10:30 PM I simply must drag the bookshelves into a new arrangement?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never been on a skateboard (and have no future plans to either, I'm drawing the line to the Vespa thing). Some of those boards are pretty cute (or cool?) looking though.
Skating the house? Al those thing we were always told never to do as kids. You are a cool mom for sure, dude! (too surfer? I'm not good at this cool stuff.)

Amy said...

I love that she wants to skateboard, I love that you have her doing it in the house. It's a good place to learn. Maybe when they're at school you could try too...... :)

Jill said...

Skateboarding... I will not be showing that to my girls or they may want to join in the fun...

Oh the slippery marble floors. I so know what you mean!

karey m. said...

our downstairs neighbors DESPISE us. between the blades, scooters, scooter kates, and high heels...how could they NOT?

Sietske said...

oooh, I've got you bookmarked now! ALmost moved to Amman myself, but hubbie is trying to avoid it. He says: "If Beirut doesn't inspire you, wait till you get to Amman. Yuo'll be begging for Beirut." I don't know. But I will read you and see :)

mary s. said...

This reminds me of when I first tried rollerblading. On the hardwood floors of my apartment. Walls are fantastic breaks!

please sir said...

I've never been a skateboard gal either, but I was into roller-blading and skating at one point. I think kids have phases (at least I did!) and then they find something they really love and stick to it. Or in my case art was always a constant...then I would throw in random things I wanted to pursue. Good luck and be safe!