Yea... it definitely may be a crisis, but come on... what, we won't be able to afford a Wii for Christmas this year? We might have to pinch pennies and re-evaluate stupid spending. As much of a mess as it is.. it's also a good wake-up call (or kick in the patootie) - Responsibility - it's been needed for a long time.
It is an interesting contrast isn't it? But sadly, the American financial crisis is likely to affect the shepherd and the guy on the donkey raising prices on his good and services as the dollar (to which the dinar is pegged) falls even further. Here's hoping stability comes soon...
January through May, I tracked prices of staple items here in Egypt and they rose by 50%... that is really scary for people that live on pennies a day. It is a strange world we live in...
Brings things into perspective doesn't it? I think we can all look at how little others have and say, yeah, I'm not going to complain about xyz anymore! Like mommabean says, one thing will eventually affect the other.
It really puts things into perspective. Sadly as much as we like to place all the blame Wall Street, Main Street has done it's share. Unlike the shepherds, most AMericans live on credit and well beyond their means. Most of us could learn a lesson in simplifying. Scary times, huh?
Thanks for reminding us of the situations in other countries. The media can make things so dramatic and scary...getting a new perspective is always nice.
How is it the dishes can make it to the sink but never into the dishwasher? Can a dog be trained not to wipe dog snot on the sliding glass door? Is my parenting today going to lead to therapy tomorrow? Would I want to be married to me? Is it true if you eat a can of frosting for lunch, and no one is looking, it has no calories? I'm the mom of two and a student pursuing my Masters in Libraries and Information Management. All I want to know is if there can be a Simple Answer.
7 comments:
Yea... it definitely may be a crisis, but come on... what, we won't be able to afford a Wii for Christmas this year? We might have to pinch pennies and re-evaluate stupid spending. As much of a mess as it is.. it's also a good wake-up call (or kick in the patootie) - Responsibility - it's been needed for a long time.
It is an interesting contrast isn't it? But sadly, the American financial crisis is likely to affect the shepherd and the guy on the donkey raising prices on his good and services as the dollar (to which the dinar is pegged) falls even further. Here's hoping stability comes soon...
January through May, I tracked prices of staple items here in Egypt and they rose by 50%... that is really scary for people that live on pennies a day. It is a strange world we live in...
Brings things into perspective doesn't it? I think we can all look at how little others have and say, yeah, I'm not going to complain about xyz anymore!
Like mommabean says, one thing will eventually affect the other.
It really puts things into perspective. Sadly as much as we like to place all the blame Wall Street, Main Street has done it's share. Unlike the shepherds, most AMericans live on credit and well beyond their means. Most of us could learn a lesson in simplifying. Scary times, huh?
You made me think! I was spurred to actually start a blog post on the subject. Thanks!
http://lethelogican.wordpress.com/2008/09/29/greed-or-human-nature/
Thanks for reminding us of the situations in other countries. The media can make things so dramatic and scary...getting a new perspective is always nice.
Post a Comment