Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Pinch Me

Have you had dreams you thought would never, could never, be fulfilled? That instead of being dreams, they were closer to fantasies? 

I've always dreamed of shopping the Paris Flea Market. Years ago, when living in Del Rio, TX, I'd trek 7 hours across the state (Texas is HUGE, is it not?) to the Round Top Flea Market. If you ever have the chance to go to Round Top, I highly recommend it. It covers acres upon acres. But somehow, the thought of the Paris Flea Market always intrigued me. I just knew there would be that perfect something there that would speak to my soul, and it would adorn my home and give me such delight every time I viewed it. Plus, I could forever say I bought it at the Paris Flea Market!

I combed the Paris Flea Market for hours. I trekked miles upon miles. There were fabulous paintings, charming china, vintage clocks, iron gates and planters, vintage Hermes scarves, not to mention truly chic crap galore! But ... nothing called my name. Nothing that I just had to have. Nothing that would fit in my suitcase, anyway. Yet, I enjoyed every minute of it, and the memory of it is the treasure that I took home. 

My other heartfelt desire was to attend French cooking school. And if you are going to attend French cooking school, you should do it in Provence. While you're at it, you should do it in Julia Child's home, in Julia Child's kitchen, and under the confident tutelage of Kathie Alex. Now, this class came with no guarantees of kitchen success, nor did it promise to answer the nagging question of 'What's for dinner?' But I can now turn a tomato into either a petal or a fine dice. And it didn't hurt that cooking class included 'field trips' to places like La Palme D'Or on the Cote d'Azur, as you can see.

If this dream can come true, surely so can yours. Here's hoping that all your big dreams also get to come true! 

10 comments:

Connie said...

Beautiful!! I hope you enjoyed all of your travel. I love the photos. I have not yet been to France (only thru the airport) and would like to... my family history is French (waaaaaay back, prior to 1600) and I'd like to go see where we started.

I thought of you when out on a field trip with my daughter's kindergarten class... we passed by a bunch of giant power towers and the kids were yelling "Look, it's the Eiffel towers!!!" Some adults tried to correct them, but the kids were not interested in hearing it...me either... I waved, did you see us? ;-)

Donna said...

Words cannot express how jealous I am of your cooking school adventure.

Amy said...

I'm so glad you had fun! I am so in on that dream of the Paris flea market. I have thought in my head of trips that are made around that.
And although cooking is not my favorite, I would love that tomato trick.
Your pictures are beautiful. Did you have your kids with you? Where did you stay? Was it the most fun ever?
And one more thing, I loved that you drove 7 hours through Texas for a flea market too. That shows some determination!

Lynda said...

Oh lucky girl.. I would love to do that. I thought that Julia Child's Kitchen was in the Smithsonian Institute? You can look at it online...

mary s. said...

Wow. What a once-in-a-lifetime trip!

So you've been to both Round Top AND the Paris Flea Market? I am so, SO jealous!

Simple Answer said...

Connie, I did see you wave! :)

Donna, I can't believe I got to go! Don't be jealous, you can have a turn!

Amy, My family stayed here. I was with my mom. The house is called Pitchoune in Provence.

Lynda, Ooooo. That is cool! That is Julia's house in Massachutes. I stayed in the house she built on her cookbook partner's property in France. She hung her pots on the wall just like in the Smithsonian kitchen!

Diane Mandy said...

I'm so happy you had a dream come true. Here's hoping you fulfill many more!

Tanya said...

Wow!! I havent been to France either although would love to one day. The Flea Market, the Notre Dame, the Sacre Coeur, the Sainte Chapelle, the Pompedieu museum of modern art, the Louvre, Picasso, Monet, Rodin...all those places we learned about in French at school...one day maybe....

MommaBean said...

Looks like you had an awesome time! Hope to see the pics in person soon...

Jill said...

What a trip of a lifetime...

Sounds like amazing memories were made.