Monday, September 8, 2008

Good Day Sunshine!


Today I saw the sun. Not that it hasn't been sunny every day since our arrival here in Jordan. It's just that today I got to be outside, in the sun.

It must have something to do with Saturdays. Because right now, it seems to be a trend. Saturday and another family member is sick. This Saturday? It was the oldest pea's turn. She turned into puke-acho Saturday morning and was really, really ill. So ill, she never left the bathroom without the company of her friend - Bucky the Bucket. So ill, we got to take our first trip to Arab Medical Center. The SP? He's the only one driving right now. He got to be, no, he HAD to be, the one to take here. Here's the thing. My SP? He's the bravest soul I know. Unless. Unless he bears witness to the pain of one of his girlies. Then? Then he tends to want to pass out. But, much to his credit he held it together while the pea was stuck 4 times trying to get the IV in. 

Meanwhile, I'm manning the home front. Saturday was spent taking care of my girlie. With all the drapes drawn. You see, it's Ramadan and the majority of the city is fasting. My peas? They don't want to do anything to offend. They want to show only respect for their new friends. So if we were stuck at home, the drapes needed to be drawn, so we could enjoy our Gatorade without hungry eyes seeing it.

The anti-nausea medication and the IV really helped. But the pea still needed another day at home. So here we were, with the drapes drawn. Usually, I'm pretty happy at home. I'll read, or surf the web, or organize our stuff. But after 2 days? I begin to wonder. How long can you go without being in the sunshine? How healthy is it to only breathe indoor air? What is happening outside my door that I am missing? How many hours, days, weeks could I go without ever stepping outside?

Today, the pea went back to school, and I got to go out. I stopped. I turned my face to the sun. I took a breath of Jordan's version of fresh air. I said a small prayer that our stomaches would somehow become iron clad. And I enjoyed.

11 comments:

Amy said...

Your poor daughter. I'm glad she feels better.
I love that sign. That's great. I'm glad you got to go outside. Being cooped up is hard, I think.
I hope you now skate through a sick free week. :)

Donna said...

The sun? I've heard about that, but what is it? Here in Beijing, I don't think we have one of those.

Hope your baby is better soon...

Unknown said...

OH.... it is so not fun being sick away from home... (or ever for that matter) I am glad she is feeling better.

As I gear up for the long Norwegian winter I wonder how long I can go without sun

Anonymous said...

Oh, I hope everyone is doing better and no more sickness passes through the house. We are all enjoying our first cold of the new school season.

mary s. said...

Crossing my fingers for an endless string of sick-free weekends :)

Diane Mandy said...

I am wishing iron-clad stomachs for you and your family. Hang in there!

Jill said...

Oh illness is SO not fun! I wish you all a speedy recovery.

please sir said...

Being sick is the worst - hope they feel better! It's always good to get out and enjoy the weather.

Gill - That British Woman said...

oh dear me, glad she is feeling a bit better........do the girls at school fast during the day? I suppose I should ask do they go to a school for locals or foreigners?

Gill in Canada

Connie said...

Ooh! I sure hope your sweetie feels better soon - and that no-one else gets ill too. We went through stomach flus on R&R - got it from one bunch of cousins, managed to spread it to others, etc... my poor 5yo spent several days hugging a bowl.

We have a rehydration powder here, available at the local pharmacies, called 'Rehydran'. It's a packet of powder. Mix it with tang or fruit juice (to cover the taste) and you have a gatorade/pedialyte type drink that REALLY makes you feel better. I had never seen any product like it and it is good to keep on hand. Did your clinic offer anything like that? Do you have local pharmacy nearby to ask?

karey m. said...

the first few months are usually spent building up tolerences to the local bugs...and then you venture ouut on vacation to a nearby country, only to get sick again!

ugh. sorry!