Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Paris...and I'm not talking Hilton


I met a woman for the first time yesterday. She was part of a crowd when we met, and we simply chatted about this and that. It was a mundane conversation meant to overcome the awkwardness of being thrust together in a social setting where no one knows anyone. At the conclusion of our chat, she turned to leave, then turned back to me. She said, and I quote, "I hope you don't take this the wrong way....but you remind me of Paris Hilton." Huh? 


I thought for a bit, and I tried to take it the right way, but I couldn't quite figure out what the right way was. Maybe if she had expanded her thought. Like - you both have short blonde hair. Or - you both wear big sunglasses. Then I would have understood. Instead, I just stood there, perplexed. Was it a compliment? You never start a compliment with "Don't take this the wrong way." There is no wrong way to take a compliment. So... it must have been an insult? What part of Paris would I want to be compared to? Other than her net worth, of course. Hmmm. You don't think shallowness was the connection, do you? Nah. My shallowness isn't readily apparent until at least the second time I meet someone. So if that wasn't it, what was?


The more I think about it, the more I think I get it. Clearly, this woman has a gift. She is clairvoyant! Because she must have been reading my mind! Only, she sucked at it. You see, I have been thinking about Paris.... but not Paris Hilton. Paris France because


 tomorrow I leave for Paris! I can't wait to catch up with you in 2 weeks! Until then, be well! 

A bientot.

15 comments:

mary s. said...

Oh my God, that is hilarious. Take it as a compliment. I would. She IS very pretty...

Lucky you - Paris, France. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Unknown said...

Oh she meant it as a compliment... Tall, Thin, pretty, Blond...

Wish I was off to Paris... have a good time... (rough life you lead)

(my THAT sounded a bit sour grapes didn't it?) Seriously, hope you have a blast!

Connie said...

I would think it was meant as a compliment too. Paris Hilton is very pretty... the 'don't take this the wrong way' seemed to acknowledge the fact that much about the girl is messed up. I feel sorry for her, even the parts that are her fault... just because she deserved it, doesn't mean she had it coming. Does that any make sense at all???!!

Anyway... hope you have fun. Take pics and tell us all about it!

Amy said...

Bon Voyage. Have the best time. Two weeks in Paris? Who cares what the almost stranger thinks? I think she meant that you were skinny and pretty and blond. That's what I think.
Yay you!!

Tanya said...

OOHHH Paris (France that is) how cool is that. Cant wait for the pics. Have a lovely time!!!

Donna said...

Wait a minute. Didn't you just get there? And you're already going on vacation? Now I'm jealous.

Try to see if you can get a sweet deal at the Hilton - if you're looking like her, you might as well get an upgrade. Oh, and when you get back, dye your hair or something.

Someone once told me I looked like Celine Dion. Who is so far from attractive and really kind of creepy that I was depressed for months afterwards. Still am.

karey m. said...

ohmygosh! have a blast.

and i desperately want to know WHO said you looked like paris!

Jill said...

Have a fantastic trip. See you soon.

Fifi Flowers said...

HOW FUN! ENJOY PARIS!
Wow... I want one of those power towers in my backyard... need to talk to the power company and see if we can change out one of the poles in my neighborhood to one of those! LOVE it!

Tobi said...

Oh, this is a compliment alright. I would have kissed that woman right on the lips if she said that to me. I own brassieres older than Paris Hilton!

She would have more likely compared me to Conrad Hilton, Hilton Kramer, or the Notre Dame de Paris.

Have fun on your trip. Lucky Duck.

Gill - That British Woman said...

not sure how I would have taken that comment either......enjoy your vacation in Paris....

Gill in Canada

Diane Mandy said...

Jealous! But do enjoy!

please sir said...

Oh my - what an odd comment! Just roll with it. Paris sounds amazing - have a great time!

kari and kijsa said...

Teehee-
We are celebrating our one year anniversary and wanted to thank you for being a special part of the past year!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Verity said...

That post had me laughing out loud - very funny! Definitely meant to be a compliment...but sooo funny! I'm so jealous about Paris!