
Thank God It's Friday! Because Thursday is the new Friday. Which is fine. Thursday was "Must See TV" dating all the way back to Friends. But now there is nothing for me to see what with no real TV, so Thursday can masquarade as Friday quite easily for me.
Friday is the new Saturday. But, it is a lot more like Sunday. It is the Islamic sabbath, and the city really does slow down, quiet down. We've been told it is the best day to try to drive around and figure out where things are. Sorta like a "Sunday drive." However, Friday isn't always Saturday. Sometimes, Friday has to be Friday - especially when you deal with the states - where Friday really is Friday. So Friday feels like a Sunday except its a Saturday until it needs to be a Friday.
Saturday as the new Sunday? Doesn't quite cut it for me. There is a Christian church here that meets on Saturday nights. Turn our Saturday night into Sunday morning? Definitely not the same. And if Saturday night is now Sunday night, it means getting ready for the week and early to bed before school. Of course, we're church goers. So if Saturday night is what there is, Saturday night is what we'll do.
Sunday as the new Monday is the worst. Sunday. Day of rest. Day of crosswords and church and brunch and football. Sunday as Monday hurts. I'll still get football - in the evenings. Football involves cheering and cursing. Football is not to be watched quietly while children are sleeping. And no matter that there were just two days off. Starting your week on a Sunday feels like you missed part of your weekend. Who knew that the days of the week, and the way time is marked, affects you right down to your DNA? And changing, adapting, is not easily done when you've been programed from day 1.
So, TGIF my Western friends! Enjoy your weekend!
8 comments:
Hmmm we have kiwi friends in Aqaba and like you for them sunday is the beginning of the working week which means school for everyone (dad is the principal). I dont think I would ever get used to school on sunday!
We've been trying to adjust for nearly 4 years. I don't mind the weekend being different - I used to do a lot of shift work and LOVED having my 'weekend' during the regular week because that's when everyone else has to work - nothing was ever crowded on my weekends - night shift was better, because I could have ANY day I wanted to do things! It was like being on vacation all time, but I had to nap some, and work at night ;-) !
I still have a problem with thinking of the 1st day of the week as Sunday, the 2nd as Monday, etc. When I think that the kids have gone to school 3 days this week, I'll automatically think 'Wednesday'. Or Tuesday night they'll ask me how many more school days to the weekend, and I'll say 3, not 2! ah well... you are right, it must be in our DNA.
K. That confused me a bit, but I totally loved that picture. Regardless, Have a good weekend? Is that appropriate to say on a Thursday?
BRILLIANT!! I'm totally confused but loved reading this! :)
Sounds like you are doing great. After almost 9 months, I am still not happy with the whole Sunday start to the week. Sometimes I feel like we don't really have a weekend.
Welcome to the Middle East... I have another few days of peace and church bells before my return to Cairo.. noticing a slight lag in my enthusiasm...
It took me forever to get used to the "week days" being weekends. It's so odd.
Happy Friday to you!
Adaptation and confusion. Such is the expatriate's life.
Oh my.... I am worn out just trying to read that... How long will you be there? I need to go catch up on all of your posts..dying to hear about the trip!
Post a Comment