
Preamble: I found this image on Love as a Found Object. Don't know the artist, and although the cartoon looks familiar, I don't remember it. So, can't cite the proper source, which is a bit of a problem for me, the librarian. Also, to be politically correct, we aren't supposed to show Arab's tying-up white people. So, in an effort to correct any stereotypes, allow me to assure you that in the 3 1/2 weeks since I have been here, I have not been tied-up. Not even once.
One of the beauties of coming to Jordan is most of the population speaks English. This makes adjusting to a new culture soooooo much easier. However, not everyone speaks English. Take, for example, the bathroom attendant at the airport. She very nicely handed us our 4 squares of toilet paper (that was different) while we stood in line and said something in Arabic that we just smiled to in reply. After collecting our 9 bags of luggage, my littlest pea decided she needed to go one more time. This time, when we went in, my pea handed me her doll and pillow and jacket. I happened to hold her baby all cuddled up next to me, so the bathroom attendant came over wanting to see the baby, which she thought was real. She carried on in Arabic and laughed and even though I understood not one word, we had a good chuckle about how she thought I was holding a real baby.
One of my goals while we are here is to actually learn some Arabic. My SP has learned a whole series of phrases that comprise a common greeting. (please don't ask me what those are. I said I want to learn, not that I have learned.) The really funny part is when whoever my SP has greeted decides not to follow the script and to assume my SP has lots more Arabic than "Hey, how are ya?" When a new phrase is thrown in, he does that painful smile that says, "You've just exceeded the 4 phrases I know." It's a bit awkward.
My SP has tried on several occasions to teach me these phrases. But, I get somewhere, and I'm not really sure I remember, so I say nothing. "Hello" I can sometimes remember. I think. Haven't really tested it. However, "Thank you" I do have down. I just need to try to remember to say it in Arabic, not in English.
Now... the naughtiest word in the English language? I've got that down. Seriously. How is it someone can teach me both "Hello" and "@#$!" and what I remember is the "@#$!"???? I can not only remember it, I can pronounce it. If I overheard it, I'd know it beyond a doubt. It's not one of my finer points, to that I'll agree. And although I know the word, and the meaning, I'm not sure if they use it in the same context. Such as, "What the ...?" Not that I would say that....
I'll soon be employing the services of a tutor. I'd like to believe there is hope for me beyond expletives. I'm certain my mom would like to believe I'm beyond expletives. Do you think there is a way to say "Oh Rats!" instead of "Oh @#$!" in Arabic?
9 comments:
You crack me up :)
I do know that 'phrase' in German. If you care to learn it drop me a line...
Language is the hardest thing about living internationally. I haven't made the best effort to learn the language here (ok so other than kids flashcards - I can say cow, house, bicycle etc - I've made no effort) so I admire your effort to try to learn.
I hope it goes well!
I understand Arabic fairly well, unless the speaker is trying to make it English-Arabic for my benefit, which is most of the time, then I get totally lost! Because of that, I rarely speak any Arabic - it creates more English-Arabic. Better I pretend to know very little, and have everyone around me speak normally! Of course, this means I get no practice speaking. It's a vicious cycle. At least any attempts at using Arabic here are very welcome, and even if you butcher things or make a ^%@$&'ing mistake, it seems that trying a few phrases is always appreciated.
That totally made me laugh. I have to say, I don't say it out loud in front of my kids but I have been known to walk in the other room and silently mouth the words. "Shut the @#*&% up." in times of need. It makes me feel happier than I should be admitting so I think it is a great word to know. Now just pick up a couple more.
salam-hi! (it actually means peace like shalom or namaste which I think is such a cool way of greeting someone)
assalamu alaikum -peace be to (with) you
answer with: wa alaikum assalam (And to you be peace )
you can add: wa rahmatu Allah which means 'together with Gods mercy' to the end of wa alaikum assalam
Since you are christian this would be appropriate as its the same God you are talking about. To a lot of Muslims believing in God is whats the most important thing not how you do it. (Dads a professor of world religion we were taught as kids how to appropriately greet his students from around the world. I think the peace greetings are such a warm way of saying hello makes 'hello' seem a bit hollow!!)
shokran-thank you
ma'a salama-good bye
na'am-yes
laa-no
laa shokran-no thank you
sorry i dont know any bad words!! I do know sign language for quite a few bad words though!
I am trying to learn a bit of Khmer...argghh....I can so sympathise I think Ive learnt something in the comfort of my own home but then find it completely gone when I get to the market. We are after a tutor too, hopefully one who will do field trips im thinking that might help with the nerves. Good luck with the Arabic its the fastest growing language interms of people who can speak it in the world by virtue of the fact that Islam is the fastest growing religion. You can use it in so many countries.
HA HA....When I moved to Texas, which by the way felt like a foreign country to this midwesterner, the first words I learned in Spanish were all the swear words!!! It's a universal rule that you always learn the swears first.
I'd be really hard pressed to learn another language. My mind doesn't seem to be wired for that. I do have an ear though, and like a parrot I can repeat almost anything I hear with very good accent.
I was wondering how you have been dealing with the language barrier, but it's nice to know there is some English speaking. It's amazing how you can understand someone with body language/hand gestures without talking.
WHy not an Arabic phrase of the week. I'd appreciate it. It would help me speak more to my Egyptian mother-in-law who speaks no English!
Hilarious! Teach us the bad words - we want to know! haha...
Good to know that many people speak English. That has got to make the transition easier for you.
Oh,the joys of profanity. To cuss,swear,curse in Arabic? Greatness!
Post a Comment