Friday, August 22, 2008

Sunflowers


One of my favorite blogs to visit is South End Blend. She takes amazing photos that bring to mind the summers I spent at my grandma's on the East Coast. And, we happen to like the same turquoise shade of blue. So she recently posted the above picture of a sunflower field. I've been laughing about it ever since. My MIL gave me some great advice. She told me not to compare life here to life in the States. So I'm not. I'm contrasting life here to life in the States. Below is a photo I took of the sunflowers we pass by. Seriously. Those straggly stalks that you can barely make out? Sunflowers. Actually, I think they are kind of impressive given that there is no water here in the desert.



This really isn't fair because they are some beautiful plantings around. But, you can see how there is a notable difference in the definition of a sunflower field dependent upon your location!

Small update: Our stuff is in Arkansas. That's right, Arkansas. I can see how that could happen. Amman. Arkansas. They both begin with "A". And as far as I'm concerned, they're both foreign territory.

10 comments:

Lynda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy said...

I love your contrasting idea. So funny.
I can also see where they might have gotten Arkansas and Amman confused, like you said, both A's, both very different than Colorado. At least they know where you stuff is, that's a good sign.

Jill said...

Arkansas? What in the heck is it doing there? And when will it make it to you?

I too adore South End Blend... her photos are amazing. :)

please sir said...

I love her blog too - sounds like good advice from your friend. Good luck with getting your stuff back!

Tobi said...

I love South End Blend too. And sunflowers and you..(How was that for a transition), which is why I nominated you for a blog award. Come on over and check it out.

Anonymous said...

Keep that good sunflower picture nearby when you need something cheerful.
I'll have to check out that blog, I've heard it mentioned around the blogosphere several times.

mary s. said...

Aww...thank you! I'm sitting next to my husband and showed him your post and he loved it, too. :) The contrast between the two sunflower...um...fields (?) is incredible. And fascinating. I love hearing how you're settling in and what you're seeing in Jordan. It's amazing to me!

P.S. Crossing my fingers that your stuff makes it to your door SOON!

karey m. said...

you're here?!

we just got back last night, and lag is kicking my ass. let me know how to reach you...

Simple Answer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Connie said...

Hey! At least they found your stuff - yay!