Monday, August 25, 2008

Progress Ain't Always the Thing

This cistern sits across the street from me. I love to watch it. It is like a mystery that unfolds daily. At first, I didn't really know what it was. Pottery. Old vessel. Draped with cloth. But what was it doing there?

Then, I discovered the cup. The community cup. Every time I think of a community cup, inside I go, "ewwwwww" just like a squeamish tweenage girl. So it holds water. I'd say "obviously" but it wasn't all that obvious to me at first. But really? It obviously holds water and vessels of its kind have probably been holding water for centuries. 

Since the light bulb has gone on, I've loved watching it. The bedouin on their donkeys come by, stop, and drink from it. Don't you want to know who put it there? And don't you want to know who fills it up? I've looked around other neighborhoods and have only seen one other one.

I find myself in the middle. I want to know..... and yet I don't. It's kinda fun to let the details reveal themselves to me. To watch to see who will take a drink. To watch to see if I'll ever be able to catch the person filling it up. To look around the neighborhoods we drive through to see how many others I can spot. And this is why we are here. To look at the world in a whole new way with wonder and curiosity.

8 comments:

Tanya said...

Aint that just the definition of community!!

Unknown said...

Very cool... there is so much to learn & see... although I doubt I would be drinking from it...

Diane Mandy said...

You are going to be discovery so many new and wondrous things! I look forward to hearing all about it.

mary s. said...

Absolutely. AND to share them with us, who have no clue what it's like to live in a place like Jordan!

MommaBean said...

I find these fascinating as well. There are a couple of houses within a couple of blocks of us that have them. El 3atal tells me that they are there for anyone needing water, you know bedouin hospitality. I gather the garbage man drinks form it along withthe passing shepherds (literally as if I didn't live right next to 3 terribly busy streets)...

Connie said...

We have them around here as well - I think they are great! I've seen cats using them - licking up the dripping water. I've yet to photograph one. I should. We also have guys who walk around wearing a vat on a harness and serve up tea, water, and some sort of sugar cane drink. Yes, the immediate reaction is 'ew!' over the shared cups, but I have to admit, the good vibes about the whole community thing are hard to deny.

Verity said...

Sounds like you are finding a little zen despite the difficulties with settling in, all your stuff going missing etc!

please sir said...

What an amazing gem to watch! I would be curious too. Guess it's like a water fountain?