Right after SP & I were married, we moved to Witchita Falls, TX. Inevitably, when telling people of our impending move, we'd be told, "Witchita Falls? Did you know that was in Tornado Alley?" I ask you, what is the proper, Emily Post response to that? Do they say this merely to inform or do you sense a bit of glee to be able to tell people that their lives could be in danger?
I bring this up because if you think moving to Witchita Falls elicits a response, you should try the Middle East! Most people have responded in two ways. My favorite is the direct. Jordan? Is that safe? Well, not entirely. So how do you respond? I've searched, and nowhere is there a risk meter that ranks your level of risk. Oh sure, there is the Homeland Defense scale. But really, do you change your plans because one day its yellow and the next its orange? And if it moves to red, I doubt I'll be stocking up on canned goods and lining up for a generator. Has anyone ever considered the risk of staying? We promised to give the girls the world. Does that mean a white bread world full of Webkinz and American Girls? Or does that mean an actual piece of the world that enhances your soul and gives you greater understanding? And if there is a risk scale, shouldn't there be a rewards scale? What if my peas actually benefit from the move and *gasp* turn out to be more interesting people?
The second response is a little more subtle. Usually there are some polite questions followed by a seemingly caring, "You know, I hate to point this out, but you and the girls are very blonde and blue eyed." ie - Are you aware that you have a bulls-eye square between the eyes? I hate to point it out to them. But I'm not a blonde. I mean I am, but no one is really sure of my hair color, not even me. And the littlest pea - her eyes aren't blue. In fact they are the most beautiful yellowy-green with a huge speck of chocolate brown in the upper corner of the right eye. The oldest pea - okay, you've got me there. I pay a lot of $ and will never be as blonde as she is. All that to say, we are well educated and well aware of our Americanness. I appreciate your pointing it out, but again, when do we say the risk is too high? How do we know the potential isn't even greater?
Thursday, April 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
you will love jordan. i hope you're lucky enough to get here...
and it's not how you think it will be. not at all.
it's better and worse and all the in-between. just like home. just like anywhere.
if i can offer some advice? stop worrying. start anticipating. with glee. because this? this will be a grand adventure.
best of luck. call when you get here...
I'm so glad you stopped by! It feels a bit like being a voyeur when you've read someone's blog for a while and they haven't a clue. Let me just say, you inspire me. Such a beautiful voice.
Thank you for the kind words. The control freak in me is trying to let go and 'be flexible.' Not sure I'm destined to master those words.
Post a Comment