Monday, April 14, 2008

Sweetpeas and Daffodils

So, the Sweetpea read my blog and didn't seem super pleased I was using his 'pet' name. And truthfully, it is a little sickeningly sweet. But, I do call him that and his friends looooove to make fun of that. It all started when we went camping with 5 other couples. We all have daughters, so there were about 15 girls running around and riding bikes. It was late at night, and we were sitting around a campfire at another campsite. Sweetpea had started walking over to our campsite when I called out, "Sweetpea, can you put some water on to boil so we can wash our face?" Since then, Sweetpea has not been able to live down his nickname, and I've forever been labeled "high maintenance" for wanting hot water to wash my face. (I'm sorry, but those who call me "high maintenance" for liking my water hot for washing after a day of hiking, dirt and campfire smoke are just bitter that they haven't been doing it all along!) Anyhow, I've decided to abbreviate Sweetpea into SP and those who read this post will know, and all others will only get to wonder.

On to daffodils. I'm really struggling with having to leave my garden behind. We plan to rent the house and had an agency over to look at it and see what we could get in rent. As soon as SP knows if he has the job, we will need to get busy trying to rent the house out. I love this house and I've put a lot of time and $$ into the yard - the first thing that I think will go given the price of water. It is all drought tolerant plants, but we've been in a drought for the last 7 years. They still need TLC. Plus, I started planting bulbs every year. I started with only 15 daffodils, and I add another 10-15 every year. It makes me so happy this time of year to see them and know that Spring might actually come! This year I branched out and planted some 'deer lollipops' otherwise known as tulips. Today it was sunny and beautiful and I took the dogs on a hike. When coming down our street, I ran into a gang of deer. We see them around, but never on our street. When I returned, I noticed the green where my tulips were starting to come up, was gone. Right next to it, deer poop. Maybe I don't need to fear the renters, not if the deer keep coming around.

Can you see the stub of the tulip and the pile of poo? (black beans to the smallest pea!)

No comments: