Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Grey Skies



It has been foggy and damp the last few days. I asked one of the contractors I was working with if it was still foggy outside. "Foggy" was not in his English vocabularly. I explained what I was asking, and he said, "Yes. The clouds are still on the ground." Loved that description.

But the fog? It has presented a new driving challenge. Jordanians do not have a reputation for being good drivers. Quite the opposite, in fact. So when you add in the inability to see these drivers coming? It's crazy! 

Now, when it's foggy, I usually turn my lights on. Good idea, right? I want them to see me coming. Not so much the Jordanians. They won't turn their lights on, because it will waste electricity. ??? Hmmm. Seems to me there are times when expending a little electricity might actually be a good idea. And where did this idea come from that using your lights would somehow be a drain on the car's electricity?

I tried flashing my lights at a few cars. They'd flash me back - and go right back to driving with the lights off. When does something like this cross over from being a cultural thing to a practical thing? Surely, seeing the car that are coming at ya would be good in any culture, huh?

9 comments:

C.C. said...

That is exactly the rationale they use here for driving with no lights AT NIGHT! Be careful out there!

Debbie said...

It is a wonder they don't all run into each other! We need some rules here:)

Verity said...

Sounds like some faulty logic going on there!

Amy said...

One would think seeing oncoming cars would be a good idea.
I too love their term for foggy. It sounds more interesting.

Jill said...

They do the same thing here - and it drives me nuts!!!!!

I really need to understand just HOW this is saving energy...

Does it also cut down on hospital visits because you can't see the other traffic?

Sondre Lyn said...

I had to laugh at the idea of wasting electricity... in the car... funny stuff! I do love the "clouds on the ground." Very nice. I am impressed that you drive there. Yep. I know how that sounds. (Having lived overseas myself, I could never understand people who wouldn't drive.) But I have a mental list of places I don't want to drive. I guess if I ever get to one of those places I will have to see how I feel then! :D

Connie said...

We have auto lights on the truck, and Caireins are very helpful in pointing out that our lights are on. They flash their lights, the make this open/close/open/close signal with their hands.. this means, your lights are on and you might run down your batteries. (or wear out your lights, or ???) They'll even tap on the car and tell you that while stopped in traffic. I used to try to explain they were automatic... I give up! ;-D

kari and kijsa said...

Amazing...sounds like advanced defensive driving!!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Khadra said...

OMG! that is nuts.
I wouldnt be able to drive. I would need to medicate myself before getting into a car!