
The other night on the news, there was a story on how to get your personal finances in order. The recommendation was to do away with credit and debit cards and go to total cash. Furthermore, when you get cash, you should try to get $50's and $100's because they are harder to spend. After living in Jordan 7 months, I can tell you 50's are near to impossible to spend. Because here? They have the key to making this work. NO ONE can make change.
Need a 5JD item? If you pull out a 50JD, you are most likely to be asked if you have anything smaller. If not, the employee might then look through their purse/wallet and get your change from there. I have yet to figure out how that works. Do they just remember how much $ the store owes them? Is there any reconciliation that goes on at the end of the day?
Now, if they know they don't have the change on them, they will go store to store to try to break the 50 and get change. I've had a sales clerk go 5 stores down in the mall looking for someone to break a 50. After a while? It really does become a deterrent to spending money.
But the neat part? Here, it goes both ways. Sometimes, I don't have the right change. For example, I was at the produce stand I frequent and when the man rang up my purchases, I found myself several dinars short. I was getting ready to ask him to put something back, when he told me, "Today, you get a discount!" And off I went with all my produce. Can you imagine a store in the US doing this? How about pulling your wallet out and discovering you actually don't have any money? Just the other night, I asked my SP to pick up a few items at the small grocers down the street. When he went to pay, he realized he had no cash. The salesman, whom we see at least once a week, told my SP just to take the items - he knew we'd be back to pay him.
I never worked in retail, so I don't really know how stores have enough change. But, I know that it can be done. There is a system already in place. No need to reinvent the wheel here folks! I'm guessing this system involves going to the bank on a regular basis. And I don't really understand why that doesn't take place here.
So I'm giving this cash suggestion a thumbs up. As long as you can't get change. Just forget the advice to cut up those credit cards. Ever try to rent a car without one?
11 comments:
Sounds like a hassle...Your going have to get your own change..(sounds like you will be saving money)
Lol! Gotta love cash - here my sister in law was paid for their house entirely in cash - delivered to them in a plastic shopping bag! People are easy going with letting you pay later for things here too. I love that!
ps I'm glad to see you are back I was starting to miss you stories!
I went to our local shop the other day, racked up about 20$ worth of things, dug into my purse... Mish Mumken - no money. Not only did they say i could pay them later they asked me when they could deliver the heavy things for me.
Are you really coming to Cairo? Will you have time to maybe meet for lunch or coffee or something? It'd be tres fun! :)
This made me laugh! The only experience I had similar was being in Germany and Belgium and having people not want my Euro bills... they only wanted the coins... but I lived in England and couldn't get coins... I could only get bills... hmmmm... quite exhausting really. I came home from Belgium with the same couple hundred Euros I left with (minus one 20E) because of this. :D
I think I'll try that at HomeGoods next time. Do you think they will give me a discount?
Glad you're back. Missed you.
sounds like a pain in the butt, but the part with the trusting and nice sales people is very refreshing!
Coming from the US, where I used a card for everything and rarely had any cash on hand, it was a difficult situation moving to a place where not only did I need cash, I needed change! You will find Egypt the same. A cashier running to the next store, more items added to your purchase, a 'discount', etc. As I do not negotiate (usually) I consider that 'discount' to be very fair to both of us. Often, ATM's will dispense in denominations down to LE20. That helps. I also sometimes go to a bank and cash a check - and ask for the money in 1's, 5's, 10's, etc. I lock up the extra and carry a variety of bills. Oh, and as someone who likes to collect coins - but only from usage and travel - it's tough when people always 'round' things off!
SOunds like a hassle- but there are those positives!
blessings,
kari & kijsa
Haha.... good timing! Hubby was just leaving for work and asked me if I wanted the 1000 Lek notes in trade for my 5000's. It's the same here-- no one ever has change!
It is definitely a cultural thing. Today at Starbucks of all places they didn't have enough coffee brewed to fill dh's cup. They could only fill it 2/3 so the guy just told him if he didn't want to wait for more to brew it was free. I can not imagine Starbucks in the US doing that.
Yeah, everything here is mostly cash too and it makes me nuts because I have to find a bank to get money before I can buy things! Though it is admittedly a cost cutter.
Post a Comment