
Desire to Inspire
Ahhh. The outdoor bathing area. All the rage in the decorating magazines. Is it the surprise, ergo the delight, of having a shower where one just shouldn't be?
But what happens when you have a shower inside someplace it just shouldn't be? Say....inside your kitchen? The trick is, it only is a shower in the kitchen when it rains.
It started Christmas Day. Our first real rain here in the desert. The power went out, and we couldn't figure out the problem. Until......until we saw the water pouring out of one of the light fixtures. But the kitchen wasn't the only room with a leak. The dining room window also sprang a leak. We called the guys, the guys came, the guys claimed to have fixed it.
Only they didn't.
So the next time it rained, it came in the kitchen and the dining room. We called the guys, the guys came, the guys said they thought they had fixed it. But the problem?Really? The problem probably should wait to be fixed in the Spring.
Get it? In the Spring? Like WHEN IT DOESN'T RAIN AGAIN FOR MONTHS!!!!!
No. Not acceptable. So they agree, they will fix it. Weeks go by, no one comes to fix it. We called the guys, the guys came, the guys said they fixed the problem.
No, I say. You have not fixed the problem.
Yes, madam. Our guy, he says it is fixed. He fixed the problem.
I can't figure out where the communication breakdown is. English to Arabic? Woman to Man? I dunno. But he is insistent. The problem is fixed. (and no, we had not had any more rain to prove otherwise.)
So, since he is insistent that the problem is fixed, he offers to reinstall the light in the kitchen and paint the water stains in the dining room. Great, I say. Because me? I'm not getting anywhere. I let them hook up the light and paint the dining room.
Four days later. 1 am. Drip. Drip. Drip. SP gets up. SP returns to bed soaking. It's raining and the problem was never fixed.
Huh. Just like I said.
The thing that kills me? The complete surprise on the guy's face when he comes back.
The fiasco? It's continuing. The guys came today. My Joy let them in. They didn't call ahead. I didn't know they were coming. So - I never saw them. Joy said 6 of them stared at the ceiling, one drilled a hole, and they all agreed the problem was fixed. Joy said, it's not fixed - it's just not raining. They insist: Tell madam it is fixed. Joy and I had a good laugh.
There is no rain in the forecast this week. I know the problem is not fixed. I just have to laugh. Any bets that it will still be raining in my kitchen and my dining room this time next year?
8 comments:
Oh yeah... gotta love the "fix-it" guys. Sadly, they never really fix anything... but they sure do cause a whole lot of angst and agita.
Good luck getting it fixed... one day...
Hey, those fix it guys have ya by the... RIght? What are we supposed to do? Say, "Please, let me pay you more money to not fix it again."
Good luck with that! Hey it's snowing here AGAIN!
So do the guys where dark blue overalls? They did in Morocco and they deployed exactly the same strategies to repair household items...your SP spent a summer working with them so, he should know all about their methods :)
Hang in there!
Yes yes..of course it's ok. No such thing as preventative maintenance... if it isn't falling down around your ears, it is not really broken.
Can you pay someone to grab a hose and stealthily water the roof when these guys come by? That would be fun to watch. Might not get anything fixed, but, fun.
You have to laugh or you'll be driven utterly mad.
I'd say you've predicted the next chapter of this story perfectly.
LOVE the outdoor bath photo... not sure I would like bathing there BUT it is a GREAT photo!
oh that is awful, and sounds so frustrating!! And they probably figure you know nothing because you are just a girl.
Post a Comment