
Ever played a game without knowing the rules? What about a game where the rules keep changing? I've been playing a game that has used up so much of my time and energy, I may as well have a full-time job.
It's almost Thanksgiving, and Thanksgiving requires pumpkin. We've been eating pumpkin all Fall. There was the day my oldest pea said she just missed Fall. Could I please make her something that tasted like Fall? The next morning I made pumpkin waffles. They liked them so much, the next time they had a sleepover, we made pumpkin pancakes. I had plenty of pumpkin. Not only was it available in the stores, but we got a few cans in care packages.
Here's the rule I didn't learn. Just cuz it is here now, does not mean it will be here tomorrow.
Now, I still have one can of pumpkin. But 1 can will not make pumpkin pie, pumpkin sandwich cookies AND pumpkin truffles. Plus, now that I can't find pumpkin? I am really craving pumpkin oatmeal. (don't knock it until you try it)
So here is the point. You don't know what will be at the store. And, you never know what store will currently be carrying the item you need. So last Friday was "Pumpkin Quest". 4 of us scoured 4 different stores for the elusive can of pumpkin. 4 stores, no pumpkin. One store told us they would be ordering pumpkin from Lebanon. Be sure to check back. Lebanon? Pumpkin?
I went back to that store and still no pumpkin. I tried it for gingersnaps. No luck. I left and went to another store where I knew I could find gingersnaps. However, it did not carry white chocolate. This is when I realize I did not check the first store for white chocolate, which is the only store where I found white chocolate the only other time I needed it! But the good news was, the gingersnap store also had pecans. PECANS! I hadn't been able to find those anywhere! I get home from the 2 stores and still have no white chocolate. I decide to walk to my neighborhood store. Just to see. After all, this was the place that had the ONLY chocolate chips in town. Yep, chocolate chips. They cost me almost $50 for 5 bags, but they had chocolate chips. My local store? They had the white chocolate! But, of course, no pumpkin. No one can be that lucky.
I used to love to cook. Here? I don't think it's cooking I'm doing. It's more like hunting and gathering. And the number one rule? When you find something? Hoard it.
10 comments:
more importantly, you have to think in a backwards direction...
what's at the store, and what can i make with that? but hoarding is always good.
The hoarding mentality is the only way to survive here! Find the key ingredient to your favourite dinner? Buy 12! Whenever we get complacent the item always disappears for months on end. :(
Good luck on the great pumpkin hunt! :)
Oh no! Good luck! I couldnt survive like that!! Id go insane.
I could have written that post... I too loved to cook... and then BAM the scary oven from hell and it has all gone to s**t!
Can you buy fresh pumpkin? Try roasting it? Didn't work for me when I made Pumpkin and chocolate brownies... the chocolate part was great, but the pumpkin part was runny so the whole thing was just a slab of mess.
Yep.. I agree with the 'pea' I blinked and missed Autumn too.
Oh dear, here I am with all the pumpkin I could want and wouldn't begin to know how to make pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin truffles or pumpkin pie for that matter. Pathetic? Perhaps.
Maybe you should post a recipe or two. :)
Sounds like my last two postings, in Armenia and Kazakhstan. I agree w Karey M., you have to become a master at working backwards. Because of my previous life in Armenia, I can make just about anything with dried beans and cilantro.
Here in Beijing, it isn't such a problem. If you have the money, you can find lots o things. But no pre-made stuffing cubes. I'm drying bread crumbs this week. Good times!
I've learned that yes I can hoard, but be very careful about what I hoard. Unlike the squirrel, I NEVER hoard nuts. You're likely to be surprised by a swarm of invading moths when you eventually open the package!
When I read posts like this it makes me so happy to be in Germany. You drive down the Autobahn and see miles of pumpkin fields.
Sorry it can be so tough.
I hear ya sister! Granted I don't have it that bad but still, it can be hit or miss what you find (especially when it's something you used to find anywhere, even Wawa or 7 Eleven.)
If pumpkin existed here I'd send you some (never seen it though) I am still trying to find actual canned broth. Not the rinder paste stuff in the little plastic cup (that is gross!) but actual broth...do you have broth? Name something you want and we'll trade!
Definitely hoard! Sorry for the pumpkin famine.. can you substitute sweet potatoes in your recipes? Or persimmons?
Post a Comment