Monday, November 17, 2008

Nasty Habits

Natalie Imagines

It is with the utmost personal horror that I confess to you that I have developed a nasty habit. How nasty is it? It involves a spit cup. Seriously. 

Over a month ago we were driving home from Jarash when we passed trucks parked on the side of the road with boxes full of red, ripe loveliness. I couldn't resist. A moth to the flame. I carted off my first box of pomegranates and slipped into a new low. I love pomegranate, despite the fact that it simply has to be the hardest fruit on the planet to eat. The only way I know to eat it is to spit the seeds out. And since the fruit is 99% seed, that makes for a lot of spitting.

I recognize that this is unbelievably gross. I gross myself out! But I'm telling you, it's an addiction. 

Not only are pomegranates hard to eat, but they stain any fabric or fiber they come in contact with. Unfortunately I did not learn this until I went to the mall in a white shirt only to look in a mirror and find my shirt front stained with little red spots. Lovely.

I've since taken to imposing rules on my pomegranate consumption. I remember watching Oprah talk about alcohol addiction. The expert on her show stated - if you make rules about your drinking, you have a drinking problem. I have no rules on when or where I drink. But I do have rules about where and when I spit. This is the supporting evidence I have that I am truly an addict. I confine my indulgence to the evening. That way, I can change into my robe, which is completely ruined from pomegranate stains. I know! Just when you think a spit cup is nasty enough, now I'm wearing stained clothing while using the spit cup.

And when I indulge? Everyone has to be out of the room. Seriously. I might be a spitter, but I'd like to believe I'm still a lady. I spit in private. Except that one time the peas and I dug in together. What a sight that was. Slurping and spitting. It filled me both with delight and horror.

I hate to think what will happen when pomegranates are no longer in season. Do you think a 12 step program would take me in? 

15 comments:

please sir said...

Ohh I've been digging into pomegranates lately too...and they are SO hard to eat! I actually eat the seed...is that bad? I guess I didn't think of spitting it out and sort of liked the crunch to it! I also like to cut it all open and put the seeds with juice in a bowl and eat that way. STILL a big mess, but oh so good!

Connie said...

I eat the seeds too. So far, so good... and those pomegranates are sooooo good! I husk them all at once and it keeps them neater. (or the mess confined to one time ;-D !)

Pomegranate seeds and juice are beautiful in champagne - can't fix your addiction, can I add to it??

Amy said...

I've never eaten a pomegranate, but I do enjoy eating Orbits Mint Mojito gum and spitting it out the window when I am in the car alone. Saige told me birds like gum cause they can glue their nests together, so I think it's okay.
So I say, spit away. Just don't stain your chin. :)

Donna said...

I love pomegranates, but I always eat the little seedy bit without a problem. You didn't ask for advice, but here's some anyway: fill your sink with clean water. Cut a big X into the skin of the pomegranate. Submerge the whole thing in water, and then split it open at the cuts. That way, the juice doesn't splatter you as you take out the seeds. Oh, also, wear an apron. Just in case.

Jill said...

My mom never let me have pomegranates as a child because she was afraid of the mess.

Sadly, I've always been afraid to try them because of the fear of staining my clothes. Ridiculous, I know!

Lynda said...

Well now you have totally blown the lady like image out the window! Poms are going out of season here now...here is another way to try... slow cook a shoulder of lamb (8 hours if possible) - strip the meat off the bones onto a platter, then take a ripe pomegranate, cut in half - and smack that bad boy with a spoon until the seeds and juice dribble all over the warm meat... squeeze out any remaining juice - then roughly chop a couple of handfuls of fresh mint and dump that ontop... I tell you.. the combination is a winner..

Verity said...

Hilarious!!! You always manage to make me laugh! Ahhh...but guilty pleasures are the best kind! I eat the seeds too. And that recipe from Lynda sounds soooo good!

Anonymous said...

Too funny. I don't think I've ever had one before. I'm deprived, I know.

Diane Mandy said...

I'm STILL Waiting to see the first pomegranates in the stores here. LOVE THEM!

Fifi Flowers said...

There are professional spitting contests... with all of your practice maybe you could sign up! ENJOY!
Fifi

MsTypo said...

I love the taste of pomegranates but can't eat them due to the mess factor. Heck, i make a mess eating things that *don't* stain. Five minutes with perma staining fruit and it would all be over. LOL

Khadra said...

OHHH I love pomegranates!! I eat the seeds.

Jen Worth said...

I must confess I eat the seeds too...one of my favorite ways to enjoy them is in spinach salad w/ red onions or sprinkled over hummus with a drizzle of olive oil...haven't seen any yet on the Oregon coast!

Gutsy Living said...

Maybe you should try pistachios too. That way you can spend your whole day spitting seeds.

Briya said...

I LOVE pomegranates! But I too, hide out to eat them, because they are SOO unladylike.

I'll meet you at the 12-step program. I'll be the one with the tainted fingers.