Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Stereotype II


Girls are not as good as boys at sports.

My peas play basketball. We decided, since they will most likely be between 5'9" and 6'0" tall, that basketball was a wise choice. After all, ice skating? Out. Gymnastics? Out. Ballet? Out. Basketball - in.

The youngest pea is enrolled on a team. The oldest pea wanted to play but their wasn't enough community wide interest to make enough teams. So we decided to ask, can she play on the younger daughter's team? In the States, the fact that she is an 11 year olds means there is no way they would put her on a team with 8 year olds. It is age that matters, not sex. Here? Well, what did I expect?

The comments went a little like this:

"You want another girl?"

"Won't that make a team of all girls?"

"Maybe we could find more boys."

"Is she tall?"

Finally:

"Well. I've been told not to underestimate the girls."

Um hmmm. That's right. Don't ever underestimate my girls. We'll prove it on the court.

10 comments:

Jen Worth said...

Those girls will show 'em...being a girl in Morocco was one of the experiences that made me most appreciate being a woman in America...at least they are making an effort not to underestimate us...in the 80's, they weren't willing to make that effort!

Khadra said...

good luck to your daughters!!

Unknown said...

Can't wait for updates!

Amy said...

I have never heard that stereotype. In fact it is my understanding that girls are better at boys in everything (well except making a mess of the bathroom and not being able to identify the washer from the dryer) maybe it's just me.
I can't wait to hear how they rock that team.

Connie said...

I think boys get stronger because they NEVER stop moving/running/jumping, etc. (except when sleeping) - or maybe that's just my boy?? With young kids though, I think girls listen better, which can really matter in team sports. And as for speed, flexibility, technique... beware of girls! :-D It matters!

Verity said...

Haha - I used to play soccer for the boys team in highschool because there was no girls team! I showed them! - Just like your girls will!

kari and kijsa said...

Go girls! Trying to catch up on our blogging...stopping by to say hello!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Sondre Lyn said...

Good for you! And I am laughing at what Amy said... that's funny!

I left you a little something on my blog. Enjoy!

Sondre Lyn said...

I do realize how difficult it can be to live overseas, and the additional difficulty of living in an area like Jordan. However, I love the adventure of it. I was a child when my father was assigned to Tehran, Iran. We lived there for years. (During the Shah years, obviously no comparison to now.) We also lived in Turkey, and my husband and I have lived in Okinawa and England. England was a blast. There is not an easier assignment than there. (In my humble opinion.) Jordan seems different and a great experience. (For a short while.) I would also love to go to Israel. Then of course just about anywhere in Europe.

Diane Mandy said...

Amen. Can't wait to here how they fair. I'm sure they'll be GREAT!