In the book, Deep Thought states, "I think the problem is that the question was too broadly based..."
"Forty two?!" yelled Loonquawl. "Is that all you've got to show for seven and a half million years' work?"
"I checked it very thoroughly," said the computer, "and that quite definitely is the answer. I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."I started this blog because at this juncture, I'm wondering if we're asking the right question. Which is - Should we move to Jordan? Is it too crazy a question even worth asking? The almost universal response is that we must be nutz to even contemplate the move. Is the better question ~ Why we would even want to? Or maybe the question is ~ Can we reasonably expect to keep our peas safe? Or ~ What do we think the outcome of a two year adventure to the Middle East really will mean? Or ~ Why not just take a small vacation there at some point in the future as opposed to actually committing to a move? Or ~ Will it mean more sleep for the SweetPea and more sleepless nights for me? Or ~ Why not just pursue the remodel of our home and simply continue the status quo (a very good status quo BTW).
I run hot and cold on an almost hourly basis, but every time I think about our not going, I suffer a bitter let down. Is that my answer?
2 comments:
Hello there wife of SweetPea: I'm the husband of the woman who writes La Vie Echangee. I just read your whole blog.
The simple answer to your question is to go to Jordan. The simple answer is to let yourself do what you want because you can, because life is only interesting when you find joy in the things that you do and the experiences you give to yourself.
Colorado is safer than Jordan. It has better stores and shopping, better roads, better schools, you're closer to your family, you have better cars, a better house, "safer restaurants", cleaner suburbia, and almost no crazy Muslims running out that think it's a good idea to kill people for the sake of God, just like Christians did 300 or 400 years ago.
You're safe in Colorado. Perhaps you should spend your entire life there and never leave. Perhaps you should have bbqs every weekend in the backyard you worked so hard to buy. Perhaps you should allow your children to stay with the friends they've known since they were born and have always gone to school with, and not tear them away from everything they've ever known. Perhaps you should have Starbucks in bed every Sunday morning until the day you die safe.
Or, then again, perhaps you should take some risk and find out that it will change your whole life and the person you are inside.
Not because your life is bad and it needs changing but because your life is good and you already feel safe, and because this life has so much more to offer if you decide to let yourself be just a little bit unsafe, and breathe it all in.
It's really the fear of the unknown, isn't it? You've been such fun to watch as you've embraced your experience, and it really does offer encouragement. We're taking the plunge, and only time will tell!
Post a Comment